[Pollinator] Fwd: Now Hiring: Post-doc for Native Bee Research

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Wed Oct 24 15:08:12 PDT 2012

____________________________________
From: pkevan at UOGUELPH.CA
To: ICPBR at LISTSERV.UOGUELPH.CA
Sent: 10/24/2012  12:23:23 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: Now Hiring: Post-doc for Native Bee  Research

Position: Postdoctoral  Research Fellow in Integrated Crop Pollination
Date Available:  immediately
Location: Honey Bee  Research and Extension Laboratory
Department of  Entomology & Nematology
Bldg. 970, Steinmetz  Hall
Natural Area  Dr.
University of Florida,  Gainesville, FL, 32611-0629
_http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/honeybee/index.shtml_
(http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/honeybee/index.shtml)
Appointment: The  position is full-time, one year, fixed term, additional
funding for up to 5  years contingent upon the availability of federal grant
funding. Inquire for  details.
Pay Rate: $37,000 -  $38,000 starting salary (up to 5 years funding is
anticipated)
Qualifications: PhD in  entomology, ecology, or a related field. Preference
will be given to  applicants with prior experience working with native bees
or pollination  biology. Experience in pollination ecology, landscape
ecology, bee/plant  taxonomy, blueberry/cucurbit culture, and/or GIS /modeling is
welcome but not  essential. Applicant must have demonstrable experience in
collecting and  analyzing field data and with managing large field projects,
including  personnel employed to assist with the project. Good writing
skills and  statistical knowledge are essential.
Position Description:  We seek to appoint a highly motivated Postdoctoral
Researcher to coordinate  the development and delivery of context-specific
Integrated Crop Pollination  (ICP) recommendations on how to most effectively
and economically deliver  diversified sources of pollination to specialty
crops. The successful  candidate will lead a research program tasked with the
following  objectives:
1) Determine the value  of managed and non-managed bees for pollination of
blueberries and watermelons  in Florida, including identifying factors
affecting bee  abundance.
2) Evaluate farm and  habitat management practices for enhancing
pollination of blueberries and  watermelons.
3) Develop and test  alternative managed bees for blueberry and watermelon
pollination.
4) Demonstrate and  deliver Integrated Crop Pollination strategies to
growers of Florida specialty  crops.
The candidate must be  able to integrate successfully into a laboratory
employing students,  technicians, and post docs with varied interests.
Furthermore, the candidate  must be able to work with bees (therefore, cannot be
allergic to bee stings)  and under inclement conditions (such as
hot, humid, rainy, or  cold weather). Quarterly and thorough yearly project
reports must be generated  by the successful applicant. The candidate will
work with a national team of  scientists, technicians, post docs, students,
growers, and industry  representatives. The candidate is expected to
participate in knowledge  transfer (extension) to relevant clientele groups and to
mentor PhD students  assigned to the project. Domestic travel is
anticipated. The Postdoc will  report directly to the project Principal Investigator,
Dr. Jamie Ellis, and  will receive general guidance and training from him and
Dr. Jaret Daniels of  the Florida Museum of Natural History. The successful
applicant must be  self-motivated and able to work independently and on
their own initiative, and  as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Application:  Applicants must submit applications to Ms. Jeanette Klopchin.
A review of  applications will begin 1 November 2012 and will continue
until a suitable  candidate is found. To be considered for this position, one
must submit (1) a  letter of application (cover letter), (2) a statement about
ones career goals,  (3) curriculum vitae, (4) pdf copies of two refereed
publications (if  publications are available), and (5) university transcripts
(undergraduate and  graduate school transcripts). (6) Furthermore, it is the
candidate’s  responsibility to arrange to have letters of recommendation
sent to Ms.  Klopchin from the individuals supplying the letters. Please
submit completed  applications to: _jklopchin at ufl.edu_ (mailto:jklopchin at ufl.edu)
. Email submission of  complete application is required. Incomplete
applications will not be  considered. Please email Dr. Ellis (_jdellis at ufl.edu_
(mailto:jdellis at ufl.edu) ) with any  questions.
The University of  Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to
building a broadly  diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The selection
process will be  conducted in accord with the provisions of Florida's
Government in the  Sunshine' and Public Records Laws. Applications, resumes, and
many other  documents related to the search will be available for public
inspection.  Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive
reasonable  accommodation.

Jason R. Graham
Honey Bee Research and Extension Laboratory
Department of Entomology and Nematology
University of Florida
Bldg 970 Natural Area Drive
PO Box 110620 Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
Phone (352) 519-9592
Fax (352) 392-0190