[Pollinator] Fwd: The Guardian / Observer - EU Insecticide Vote

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Mon Apr 29 07:45:02 PDT 2013

>From the Guardian/Observer

Insecticide firms in secret bid to stop ban  that could save bees
Last-ditch lobbying to sway vote in  Brussels to halt use of killer nerve
agents

    *   _Share _
(http://www.facebook.com/dialog/feed?app_id=180444840287&link=http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/apr/28/europe-insecticides-ban
-save-bees&display=popup&redirect_uri=http://static-serve.appspot.com/static
/facebook-share/callback.html&show_error=false&ref=desktop) 5616
    *
    *
    *   inShare24
    *   _Email_
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/apr/28/europe-insecticides-ban-save-bees#)

    *   _Damian Carrington_
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/damiancarrington)
    *   _The  Observer_ (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/) , Saturday 27
April 2013
    *   _Jump to  comments (180)_
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/apr/28/europe-insecticides-ban-save-bees#start-of-comments)

Bees are vital for pollination, and  scientific studies have linked
pesticides to huge losses in their numbers.  Photograph: Sean Gallup/Getty

_Europe_ (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/europe-news)  is on the brink  of
a landmark ban on the world's most widely used insecticides, which have
increasingly been linked to serious declines in bee numbers. Despite intense
secret lobbying by British ministers and chemical companies against the ban,
 revealed in documents obtained by the Observer, a vote in Brussels on
Monday is expected to lead to the suspension of the nerve agents.
_Bees_ (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bees)  and other _insects_
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/insects)  are vital for  global food
production as they pollinate three-quarters of all crops. The _plummeting
numbers of pollinators_
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/apr/05/mps-owen-paterson-suspend-bees-pesticides)  in recent years has been blamed on
disease, loss of  habitat and, increasingly, the near ubiquitous use of
neonicotinoid _pesticides_ (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/pesticides) .
The prospect of a ban has prompted a fierce behind-the-scenes campaign.  In
a letter released to the Observer under freedom of information  rules, the
environment secretary, Owen Paterson, told the chemicals company  Syngenta
last week that he was "extremely disappointed" by the _European  commission_
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/european-commission) 's proposed ban. He
said that "the UK has been very active" in  opposing it and "our efforts will
continue and intensify in the coming  days".
Publicly, ministers have expressed concern for bees, with _David  Cameron
saying_
(http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm130424/debtext/130424-0001.htm#13042444000005) : "If we do not look after our bee
populations, very serious  consequences will follow."
The chemical companies, which make billions from the products, have also
lobbied hard, with Syngenta even threatening to sue individual _European
Union_ (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/eu)  officials  involved in publishing a
report that found the _pesticides  posed an unacceptable risk to bees_
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/jan/16/insecticide-unacceptable-dange
r-bees) , according to documents seen by the  Observer. The report, from
the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA),  led the commission to propose a
two-year ban on three neonicotinoids. "EFSA  has provided a strong,
substantive and scientific case for the suspension," a  commission spokesman said.
A series of high-profile scientific studies has _linked  neonicotinoids to
huge losses_
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/mar/29/crop-pesticides-honeybee-decline)  in the number of queens produced and big  increases
in "disappeared" bees – those that fail to return from foraging  trips.
Pesticide manufacturers and UK ministers have argued that the science  is
inconclusive and that a ban would harm food production, but  conservationists say
harm stemming from dying pollinators is even  greater.
"It's a landmark vote," said Joan Walley MP, chairwoman of parliament's
green watchdog, the environmental audit committee, whose _recent  report_
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/apr/05/mps-owen-paterson-suspend-bees
-pesticides)  on pollinators condemned the government's "extraordinary
complacency". Walley said: "You have to have scientific evidence, but you also
have to have the precautionary principle – that's the heart of this
debate."
A ban has been supported by _petitions  signed by millions of people_
(http://www.avaaz.org/en/hours_to_save_the_bees/?slideshow)  and Paterson has
received 80,000 emails, an  influx that he described as a "_cyber-attack_
(http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2013/03/19/mp-owen-paterson-bombarded-by-80000
-bee-e-mails/) ".  "The impact of neonicotinoids on the massive demise of
our bees is clear, yet  Paterson seems unable to escape the haze of sloppy
science and lobbying by  powerful pesticide giants," said Iain Keith of the
campaign group Avaaz.  "Seventy per cent of British people want these poisons
banned. Paterson must  reconsider or send the bees to chemical Armageddon."
Andrew Pendleton of  Friends of the Earth said a ban would be "a historic
moment in the fight to  save our bees".
A spokeswoman for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
said: "As the proposal currently stands we could not support an outright ban.
 We have always been clear that a healthy bee population is our top
priority,  that's why decisions need to be taken using the best possible scientific
 evidence and we want to work with the commission to achieve this. Any
action  taken must be proportionate and not have any unforeseen knock-on
effects."
"This plan is motivated by a quite understandable desire to save the
beleaguered bee and concern about a serious decline in other important
pollinator species," said the government's chief scientific adviser, Sir Mark
Walport, "but it is based on a misreading of the currently available  evidence."
He said the EC plan was a serious "mistake".
Julian Little, a spokesman for Bayer Cropscience, said: "Call me an
optimist, but I still believe the commission will see sense. There is so much
field evidence to demonstrate safe use [and] an increasing number of member
states who reject the apparent drive towards museum agriculture in the
European Union." However, Bulgaria is the only nation known to have changed  its
voting intention and it _will  reverse its opposition_
(http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/04/22/bulgaria-bees-pesticides-idUKL6N0D91CB20130422) .
The chemical industry has mounted an increasingly desperate lobbying
effort against a ban on neonicotinoids, which have been in use for more than a
decade. In March the top producers, Syngenta and Bayer, proposed a plan to
support bee health, including planting more flowering margins around fields
and monitoring for neonicotinoids.
However, the private lobbying began much earlier with a series of  letters,
obtained by _Corporate  Europe Observatory_
(http://corporateeurope.org/publications/pesticides-against-pollinators)  and given to the Observer, which
were sent to  commissioners in the summer of 2012, after France had proposed
a unilateral  ban. One Syngenta executive, mentioning in passing his recent
lunch with  Barack Obama, claimed that "a small group of activists and
hobby bee-keepers"  were behind that campaign for a ban. Another letter claims,
without citing  evidence, that the production of key crops would fall by "up
to 40%".
At that time, the European Crop Protection Association – of which  Syngenta
and Bayer are members – welcomed the continuing EFSA evaluation. But  in
January, as the EFSA prepared to issue the damning verdict of its experts,
the industry immediately turned on it. Syngenta's lawyers demanded last-minute
 changes to a press release to prevent "serious damage to the integrity of
our  product and reputation" and threatened legal action.
The EFSA stood its ground, prompting Syngenta to demand all documents,
including handwritten ones, relating to the EFSA's decision and the names of
individuals involved. A month later, it told EFSA officials it was
considering  the "identity of specific defendants" for possible court action. On a
more  conciliatory note, Syngenta told the EFSA it was considering
"large-scale"  bee-monitoring studies to "close data gaps", despite previous claims its
product had been introduced only after "the _most stringent  regulatory
work_ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21366547) ". Critics have
condemned companies for keeping trial data  secret.
A spokesman for Syngenta said: "No evidence from the field has ever been
presented that these pesticides actually damage bee health, with the case
against them resting on a few studies which identify some highly theoretical
risks. Regardless of the outcome, we will continue our work with anyone who
shares our goal of improving bee health, which is vital for sustainable
agriculture as well as the future of our business."
In the _first  commission vote in March_
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/mar/15/bee-harming-pesticides-escape-european-ban) , 13 countries
supported a ban, nine opposed it  and five, including the UK and Germany,
abstained, which meant there was not a  sufficient majority for or against
under voting rules, which give larger  nations more votes. The result is likely
to be repeated on Monday, meaning  that the commission would step in and it
is determined to see a ban in  place.The chemical industry has warned that
a ban on neonicotinoids would lead  to the return of older, more harmful
pesticides and crop losses. But  campaigners point out that this has not
happened during temporary suspensions  in France, Italy and Germany and that the
use of natural pest predators and  crop rotation can tackle problems.
Professor David Goulson, a bee expert at the University of Sussex whose
research has found harmful effects from neonicotinoids, said: "There is now a
very substantial body of scientific evidence suggesting that this class of
insecticides is impacting on health of wild bees, and perhaps other
_wildlife_ (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/wildlife)  too. It is  time for
the EU's politicians to take a responsible position and support this  ban."