[Pollinator] Fwd: CATCH THE BUZZ - EU Votes to Ban Neonics, Barely

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Mon Apr 29 08:36:41 PDT 2013

____________________________________
 From: chip at ku.edu
To: Ladadams at aol.com
Sent: 4/29/2013 8:31:18 A.M.  Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: Fwd: CATCH THE BUZZ - EU Votes to Ban Neonics,  Barely

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:39:30 -0500
To: <chip at ku.edu>
From:  Kim Flottum <Kim at BeeCulture.com>
Subject: CATCH THE BUZZ - EU Votes  to Ban Neonics, Barely

This ezine is also available online at
http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2013.04.29.09.39.archive.html

CATCH THE BUZZ

EU Votes To Ban Neonics, but Barely

Alan Harman

A deeply divided European Union will go ahead with a ban on the use  of
three neonicotinoid insecticides - clothianidin, imidacloprid and  thiametoxam
- blamed by critics for the decline in honey bee number.

The EU Commission will proceed with the suspension of their  use from next
Dec, 1 after 15 EU countries supported the restriction, eight  voted against
and 4 abstained.

The halt will be for at least two years.

"Although a majority of Member States now supports our  proposal, the
necessary qualified majority was not reached," Health and  Consumer Commissioner
Tonio Borg said in a statement. "The decision now lies  with the Commission.
Since our proposal is based on a number of risks to bee  health identified
by the European Food Safety Authority, the Commission will  go ahead with
its text in the coming weeks.

"I pledge to do my utmost to ensure that our bees, which are  so vital to
our ecosystem and contribute over ¤22 billion (US$28.8 billion)  annually to
European agriculture, are protected."

The plan restricts the use of the three neonicotinoids  for seed treatment,
soil application (granules) and foliar treatment on bee  attractive plants
and flowering crops such as corn, oil seed rape and  sunflower.

Any other authorized uses must be carried out by  professionals.

Exceptions will be limited to treating bee-attractive crops  in
greenhouses, in open-air fields only after flowering.

An EU statement says that as soon as new information is available,  and at
the latest within two years, the Commission will review the conditions  of
approval of the three neonicotinoids to take into account relevant
scientific and technical developments.

Experts representing the 27 EU countries had met March 15 as  the Standing
Committee on the Food Chain and Animal Health and failed to reach  a
qualified majority to on the proposal to ban the three  neonicotinoids.

Then the vote was 13 for a ban, nine against with five  abstentions. The
proposal was then referred to the appeal committee which also  failed to reach
the required majority, allowing the Commission to step in and  impose the
two-year ban.

The decision is seen as a victory for campaigners concerned  about dramatic
declines in bees, but a defeat for the chemical companies who  make the
products and the UK government which said a ban will harm food  production.

The UK's Soil Association Head of Policy Emma Hockridge  called the
decision a victory not only for the bees and other pollinators, but  for
independent science against the political, pro-pesticide position adopted  by UK
Environment Secretary Owen Paterson and the pesticide  industry.

"There is strong evidence that a ban on neonicotinoids would  work,"
Hockridge says. "In Italy, where the government has taken decisive  action and
banned certain neonicotinoids pesticides, deaths of honey bees in  winter
subsequently fell by more than 50% in three years."

____________________________________

Subscribe to Malcolm Sanford's _Apis  Newsletter_
(http://www.apis.shorturl.com/)  right here for a comprehensive listing of beekeeping  events around
the country and around the globe, check out Bee  Culture's _Global
Beekeeping  Calendar_ (http://my.calendars.net/bee_culture/)

Quality Top Bar Hive by Gold Star Honeybees - good for you, good for your
bees, good for the planet. Check us out at _www.goldstarhoneybees.com_
(http://www.goldstarhoneybees.com/) .

This message brought to you by _Bee Culture,_ (http://www.beeculture.com/)
The Magazine Of  American Beekeeping, published by the _A.I. Root
Company._ (http://www.rootcandles.com/)

Free practical insights, helpful information, and fun  from _Award Winning
Kelley  Bees's_ (https://kelleybees.com/)  monthly newsletter.

Need more bees?  Need better bees?  Feed Global Patties for  better bee
health, production, wintering and survival.  Hungry hives will  often eat a
patty a week -- even when pollen is available in the field. Try  Global Patties
and see the difference. _Learn More._
(http://www.globalpatties.com/pages/why.html)

Small Hive Beetle traps and control products, Worlds largest selection,
all chemical free.  _www.beetlejail.com_ (http://www.beetlejail.com/)

Little Bee Books at _www.littlebeebooks.com_
(http://www.littlebeebooks.com/) . _Take a look_ ()  today.

You received this email because you subscribed to Catch  The Buzz

_Change  settings_ (http://member.ezezine.com/sub.ez?c=1636.25823.4009)
_Report  abuse_ (https://member.ezezine.com/abuse.ez?e=1636.25823.4009)

--

Chip Taylor
chip at ku.edu
Monarch  Watch
http://www.MonarchWatch.org/
Dplex-L:  send message "info  Dplex-L" to Listproc at ku.edu
1-888-TAGGING -or- 1-785-864-4441
University  of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, KS 66045-7534
Create,  Conserve, and Protect Monarch  Habitats