[Pollinator] MarinIJ - Master Gardeners: Spreading the word about pollination

Jennifer Tsang jt at pollinator.org
Mon Aug 5 11:15:38 PDT 2013

http://www.marinij.com/lifestyles/ci_23756811/master-gardeners-spreading-wor
d-about-pollination

Master Gardeners: Spreading the word about pollination

By Jane Scurich
UC Marin Master Gardeners

POSTED:   08/02/2013 01:00:00 PM PDT

<http://www.marinij.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRel
ationshipId=5301118>

Julia Heliconian, Dryus iulia, or Julia Butterfly is sipping nectar at the
Conservatory of Flowers. This butterfly loves to feed on lantanas and the
leaves of passion vines including Passiflora affinis and yellow
passionflower. Photo by Jane Scurich

BIRDS DO IT, bees do it "... Pollinate, that is.

While I was working at the Master Gardener tomato sale in April at
Greenbrae's Bon Air Shopping Center, a gentleman approached me to chat. This
passionate tomato enthusiast explained to me in detail about his process of
planting in containers on wheels, which are easily mobile to catch the most
sun. I was fascinated to speak with such a determined tomato grower. It
seemed he had all the answers, so I was a bit surprised when he said, "So, I
do have one question. I see all these flowers on the plants, but no tomatoes
ever grow."

"I think they may not have been pollinated," I immediately said.

"Tomatoes don't need to be

<http://www.marinij.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRel
ationshipId=5301119>

A swallowtail caterpillar grows large eating his favorite host plant, dill.
Sowing extra dill seeds in your garden insures there is food for everyone.
In about a month, it will become a pollinating butterfly. Photo by Jennie
Strobel

pollinated," he said. "We don't have any bees!"

He was only partially correct, because most tomatoes are usually
self-fertilizing, but that is not the whole answer.

Tomato plants have both male and female organs. Normally, the wind will
self-pollinate the tomato flowers sufficiently. However, if the temperature
is too low (below 55 degrees or above 75 degrees), there will be
interference with pollen tube growth and fertilization might be below normal
and fruiting may not result. Other plants may need the actual movement of a
physical pollinator like a bee, bird or butterfly to move the pollen and
fertilize the plant.

So, what is pollination and why is it important?

Pollination is the process by which pollen is transferred from the anther,
the male organ in the stamen, to the female reproductive part of a flower
known as the stigma, the pollen-receptive apex of the pistil.

Pollinators come in many shapes and forms: hummingbirds, bees and
butterflies are probably the ones we see most often in action. We may not
see mites, fleas, some moths and flies, or nectar-seeking bats as often, but
they all play a part in the pollination process. One nonliving pollinator,
of course, is wind. It is also the least efficient form of pollination, but
it is the common pollinator for grasses, most conifers and many deciduous
trees. Humans can also engage in hand-pollination - a time and labor
intensive process, but often used to fertilize rare species when their
natural pollinators are not present.

These pollen-distributing critters have very basic needs in mind: to get
sugary nectar and sometimes the pollen itself to meet their energy
requirements. Flowers and pollinators have developed a symbiotic
relationship in which sticky pollen from flowers is transferred on the
bodies, feet, wings and tongues of pollinators to nearby plants as the
pollinator's nutritional needs are met.

We are nearing a crisis situation - pollinators

<http://www.marinij.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRel
ationshipId=5301117>

Bees enjoying flowering thyme in the author's garden. Bees are attracted to
blue, purple and yellow flowers. They cannot see the color red. Photo by
Jane Scurich

are disappearing because of a multitude of challenges, including
indiscriminate use of toxic pesticides, fungicides and lack of native
habitat. Let's face it: when was the last time you encouraged a bee to
populate your garden? Have you provided resources for caterpillars to grow
or do you exterminate them with toxic chemicals? Have you thought about
adding a few more insectary plants as your contribution to the hungry
caterpillar?

How can everyday folks help nature's pollinators to - well - pollinate? Here
are some suggestions:

. Plant bird, butterfly, and bee friendly plants.

. Group those plants together to make it easier for the pollinators to do
their work.

. Plant a wide range of colorful, fragrant flowers.

. Pick plants with long blooming cycles.

. Integrate flowers into our vegetable garden.

. Let vegetables flower after harvesting to allow pollinators to get the
pollen and nectar they require.

. Allow native plants to prosper in a section of garden where pollinators
can find refuge and fresh water.

. Do not use toxic chemicals in your garden.

Looking to see pollinators in action? Hopefully, you can find butterflies,
bees and birds active in your own home garden or nearby park. For more
concentrated action, check out these exhibits:

. Butterflies & Blooms at the Conservatory of Flowers offers an opportunity
to get up close and personal with more than 20 butterfly species as they
flit around the Special Exhibits Gallery, enjoying nectar from the colorful
flower collection. Go to  <http://conservatoryofflowers.org/>
conservatoryofflowers.org.

. The San Mateo Arboretum Society recently opened a Butterfly-Hummingbird
Garden in San Mateo's Central Park. Go to  <http://tinyurl.com/k7ocng2>
tinyurl.com/k7ocng2.

For fascinating research on all manner of pollinators, including plant
lists, visit  <http://pollinator.org/> pollinator.org. The website strives
to promote the health of pollinators critical to food and ecosystems through
conservation, education, and research. National Pollinator Week is one of
their major projects.

The Great Sunflower Project also needs all of our help to record bee
populations in our home gardens. Visit  <http://greatsunflower.org/>
greatsunflower.org for more information.

The University of California Marin Master Gardeners are sponsored by UC
Cooperative Extension. For questions about gardening, plant pests or
diseases, call 473-4204 from 9 a.m. to noon, and 1 to 4 p.m. weekdays, or
bring in samples or pictures to 1682 Novato Blvd., Suite 150B, Novato.

Jennifer Tsang

Marketing Director

Pollinator Partnership

www.pollinator.org <http://www.pollinator.org/>