[Pollinator] Butterflies show signs of being affected by climate change in a way similar to plants and bees (Northeast US)

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Fri Feb 22 11:01:38 PST 2013

An article forwarded to me by a colleague.

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife
Service-International Affairs
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Follow International Affairs
> on Twitter  http://twitter.com/USFWSInternatl
> on Facebook   http://www.facebook.com/USFWS_InternationalAffairs
-----------------------------Butterflies show signs of being affected by
climate change in a way similar to plants and bees
[image: butterflies/2011/elfin_williams]

The frosted elfin butterfly is one of the species covered in the study.
Credit Ernest Williams, Hamilton College
*Butterflies fly earlier if the temperature is higher*
February 2013. In a new study, Hamilton College Biology Professor Ernest
Williams and Boston University researchers have found that butterflies show
signs of being affected by climate change in a way similar to plants and
bees, but not birds, in the Northeast United States. The researchers
focused on Massachusetts butterfly flight periods, comparing current flight
periods with patterns going back more than 100 years using museum
collections and the records of dedicated citizen scientists. Their findings
indicate that butterflies are flying earlier in warmer years.

Full story: http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/butterfly-flight-period#cr