[Pollinator] Media Release-Bee and Pollinator Health a Serious Concern and a Priority-Pollinator Week Activities Seek to Help

Tom Van Arsdall tva at pollinator.org
Mon Jun 17 04:20:21 PDT 2013

MEDIA RELEASE
Pollinator_notag

   June 17, 2013

   Click Here  <http://pollinator.org/media.htm> to access word and pdf
versions of this release and downloadable images

         Tom Van Arsdall  tva at pollinator.org t 703.509.4746

Sunny Boyd sun at pollinator.org t 415.362.1137

Bee and Pollinator Health a Serious Concern and a Priority

Pollinator Week Activities Seek to Help

Across the globe people are celebrating Pollinator Week on June 17-23, 2013.
Established in 2007, Pollinator Week has grown exponentially in scope each
year, drawing the support and endorsement of governors, mayors and other
respected elected officials across the United States.  2013 Pollinator Week
Proclamations signed by U.S. Secretary of Agriculture
<http://www.pollinator.org/PDFs/NPW/2013/NationalPW2013.pdf>  Tom Vilsack
and U.S. Secretary of Interior
<http://www.pollinator.org/PDFs/NPW/2013/InteriorPW2013.pdf>  Sally Jewell
helped kick off the celebration.

Pollinators are birds, bats, butterflies, moths, flies, beetles, wasps,
small mammals, and most importantly, bees.  They are responsible for
pollinating nearly one-third of every bite of food we eat and the global
value of crops pollinated by bees is estimated to be nearly $217 billion.
These invaluable creatures are facing troubling declines in the U.S. Some
species have seen a 90% decline in their populations over the last decade.
Pollinator Week efforts are working to reverse and prevent declines.  Laurie
Davies Adams, Executive Director of the Pollinator Partnership (P2) said,
“We applaud and support everyone participating in Pollinator Week 2013.
Their efforts, big and small, make positive changes happen for pollinators,
the environment, our food supply and our ecosystems.”

“National Pollinator Week is a time to raise awareness about the importance
of bees, birds and other pollinator species to agriculture, forest and
grassland environments and other ecosystems,” said Agriculture Secretary Tom
Vilsack. “I encourage all Americans to learn about the important work that
is being done to conserve, protect and restore their habitats, and more
importantly, to join in and help take steps to support healthy pollinator
populations – many that can be done in your own backyard.”  P2 is joining
with federal agencies and other partners in providing pollinator-friendly
activities and exhibits at a pollinator festival hosted by the Secretary’s
People’s Garden Initiative
<http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=PEOPLES_GARDEN>  on
Friday, June 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. by the USDA Farmer’s Market outside
USDA Headquarters in Washington, DC.

"Pollinators on our nation's public and private lands play a key role in
keeping our ecosystems diverse, which in turn provides for healthy habitats
and economies," said Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell. "We appreciate
the important public-private partnerships that are working together to
encourage the long-term health of pollinating creatures."

There is something for everyone during Pollinator Week – farmers,
businesses, schools, nature centers, churches, scout groups, government and
community groups are all pitching in across the globe. There are multiple
ways to be involved – here are a few:

S.H.A.R.E. <http://pollinator.org/SHARE.htm>  - Simply Have Areas Reserved
for the Environment
Join P2 and be a part of our goal to create a million S.H.A.R.E. (Simply
Have Areas Reserved for the Environment) sites from window boxes to acres of
farm land, all registered and mapped.  Your landscape and efforts for
pollinators make a difference and through the S.H.A.R.E. program, we
spotlight these efforts on a map.  Let us know what you’re doing by
registering your pollinator habitat today. A visit to the P2 S.H.A.R.E. web
<http://pollinator.org/posters.htm> WonderofDiscoveryPoster_Largepage
www.pollinator.org/SHARE.htm ‎will get you on the road to sharing!

Cool New Poster <http://pollinator.org/posters.htm>

For 2013, Pollinator Week showcases the brand new pollinator poster The
Wonder of Discovery – Pollinators All Around.  This 2013 poster debuts
pollinator scenes artist- Carolyn Vibbert.  Vibbert’s approach to The Wonder
of Discover poster includes a bold, simple color palette and scenes full of
action.  “This is the first pollinator poster we have done that includes a
vital player in the world of pollinators- people!” explains P2’s
Communication Manager, Sunny Boyd.  The poster is available at
www.pollinator.org/posters.htm.

BeeSmart™ School Garden Kits <http://pollinator.org/beesmart_give.htm>

In 2013 Pollinator Week aspires the younger generation by helping them get
outside to observe, plant, conserve and celebrate pollinators while
learning.  The BeeSmart™ School Garden Kit is designed for students in
grades 3-6 to guide them through a discovery process that connects them to
plants, pollinators, food and gardens.  Each Kit contains lesson plans,
materials for activities, worksheets, pre- and post-tests, and much more!

 <http://pollinator.org/pollinator_week_2013.htm> Pollinator Week Support

The National Military Fish and Wildlife Association (NMFWA) has embraced
Pollinator Week with its own proclamation and statement urging that the
Department of Defense’s nearly 30 million acres participate in P2’s
S.H.A.R.E. registration. The NMFWA land managers join the U.S. Forest
Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in this campaign – a campaign
that is growing through corporate support such as Burt’s Bees®, among
others.

Burt’s Bees® brand is also hosting a wildflower seed giveaway and a
collection of bee-pollinated recipes – find out more at
www.burtsbees.com/wildforbees.

A number of State governors and community leaders have also issued
Pollinator Week proclamations.

View events in each state and across the nation at
http://pollinator.org/npw_events.htm.  Learn how to get involved, and make a
difference.

###

ABOUT THE POLLINATOR PARTNERSHIP

Established in 1997, the Pollinator Partnership is the largest 501(c) 3
non-profit organization dedicated exclusively to the health, protection, and
conservation of all pollinating animals. For further information on events
taking place during Pollinator Week and to download free materials to create
your own event, visit www.pollinator.org!

R. Thomas (Tom) Van Arsdall, Director of Public Affairs

   Pollinator Partnership <http://www.pollinator.org/>

   (703) 509-4746

   tva at pollinator.org

 <http://pollinator.org/pollinator_week_2013.htm> All3pwLogos2013-small.jpg