[Pollinator] FW: Hastings Statement on National Pollinator Week

R. Thomas (Tom) Van Arsdall tom at vanarsdall.com
Mon Jun 17 12:57:04 PDT 2013

R. Thomas (Tom) Van Arsdall, Director of Public Affairs

    <http://www.pollinator.org/> Pollinator Partnership

   (703) 509-4746

    <mailto:tva at pollinator.org> tva at pollinator.org

 <http://alceehastingsforms.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=340069-42307283>

For Immediate Release

Contact: Lale Mamaux

June 17, 2013

                                            (202) 225-1313

Hastings Statement on National Pollinator Week

(Washington D.C.) Today, Congressman Alcee L. Hastings (D-FL) made the following statement in recognition of the 7th annual National Pollinator Week, which is celebrated from June 17-23, 2013.

“As the co-founder and co-chairman of the Congressional Pollinator Protection Caucus, I am proud to recognize the 7th annual National Pollinator Week. Our ecosystem is delicate and relies greatly on pollinators such as bees, birds, butterflies, bats and other insects to move pollen and promote fertilization.

“Seventy-five percent of all flowering plants rely on the transfer of pollen between flowers for fertilization.  Hundreds of plants that are grown for food and medicine rely on pollination, including coffee, potatoes, and many varieties of nuts and fruit. These plants and vegetation contribute to the annual production of tens of billions of dollars worth of commodities in the United States.

“Over the past seven years, National Pollinator Week has become an occasion to bring attention to the vital need for pollinators and the threats they face. A recent decline in the population of pollinators worldwide endangers not only our global ecosystem, but also our supply of food and goods. As the number of pollinators begins to improve, it is vital that we do all we can to preserve and protect them in the future.”

Congressman Alcee L. Hastings serves as Senior Member of the House Rules Committee, Ranking Democratic Member of the U.S. Helsinki Commission, and Democratic Chairman of the Florida Delegation.

###

NOTE: Please DO NOT respond to this email as this inbox is unattended. To contact my office please  <http://alceehastingsforms.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=340070-42307283> click here

  <http://alceehastingsforms.house.gov/images/spacerx144480-42307283.open>
Click Here <http://alceehastingsforms.house.gov/news/email/show.aspx?ID=BAEKKOKIS7IXTT77R2EQIXMQBY>  to view this email in your browser