[Pollinator] Best early bee plants for California

Stephen Pryor sjpryor at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 18 16:39:50 PDT 2013

After years of trials, the best six annual species for the early season in central and coastal California are,
Phacelia tanacetifolia, Tansy phaceliaPhacelia ciliata, Great Valley phaceliaPhacelia cicutaria, Caterpillar phacelia or Scorpion phaceliaEschscholzia californica, California poppyCollinsia heterophyla, Purple chinese houses / shadeNemophila menziesii, Baby blue eyes / shade
Sow single species per orchard middle because they all mature at different times.  Maintain at 1.5 feet to keep annual grasses from over growing the wildflowers  Only mow to the ground after seed set and shatter, which is well before almond harvest.  The only species that may require reseeding are Collinsia and P. cicutaria.The Phacelia ciliata will be the first to bloom in December.The best early perennials are California Redbud, Madrone, various species of Manzanita and various species of Ceanothus.  There are perennial bush lupine species to consider also.  Several species of native sages may work also, ie. black sage is very important in chaparral communities.