[Pollinator] [beemonitoring] Hummingbird "sweet genes"

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Mon Aug 25 06:34:00 PDT 2014

Dear Lisa:

That's very interesting.  There's also a question of digestion.  I do
remember some publications about 20 years ago about the ability of birds to
digest sucrose.  Apparently, many passerines like the enzyme sucrase. Their
systems can't split the molecule and they either derive no energy or it's a
dangerous feed for them.  That's why you are not supposed to give a pet
canary a sugar lump.  This is also supposed to explain why so many small
berries are hexose rich and low in sucrose.  More important for us, nectar
analyses of flowers pollinated by orioles, honeyeaters, sunbirds etc. were
hexose rich or dominant.  In contrast, most hummingbird nectars are sucrose
rich/dominant.  I wish I could remember the authors of these articles but
someone in our group should know.

Peter