[Pollinator] Fwd: Nectar

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Mon Aug 25 07:15:57 PDT 2014

John Kelly is an old friend of mine, born and raised in Victoria,
Australia.  he now lives in Western Australia.  Here's an old observation
he has on native nectar-feeding birds visiting non-native flowers in a
garden on the Mornington Penninsula.  The red wattle bird is among the
largest member of the Meliphagidae in Australia (about the size of a purple
grackle).  Thornbills belong to the Acanthizidae and are about the size of
a chickadee.  From John's description it sounds like trumpet lily nectar
may ferment or maybe it contains too much sucrose and the thornbills have
trouble digesting it?.

Peter