[Pollinator] Fw: Fwd: two bee courses for students at Utrecht University, in The Netherlands and in Costa Rica

ladadams at aol.com ladadams at aol.com
Thu Feb 20 06:58:23 PST 2014

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kevan <pkevan at UOGUELPH.CA>
Sender: General News - Canadian Pollination Initiative <CPI-GENERAL at LISTSERV.UOGUELPH.CA>
Date:         Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:15:28
To: <CPI-GENERAL at LISTSERV.UOGUELPH.CA>
Subject: Fwd: two bee courses for students at Utrecht University, in The Netherlands and in Costa Rica

----- Forwarded Message -----

From: "M.J. Sommeijer" <M.J.Sommeijer at uu.nl>
To: "M.J. Sommeijer" <M.J.Sommeijer at uu.nl>
Cc: lsanchez at una.ac.cr
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:42:22 PM

130219

Dear Colleague,

The Utrecht Summer School (USS) of Utrecht University is organizing this summer two courses on bees for international students. Herewith, we take the liberty to send you some information about these courses. You may be in contact with students or other persons for whom these courses are of interest.

Every year, the USS has a large programme in July and August with 140 different courses and about 2000 students from all over the world in Utrecht. Utrecht is a dynamic historic city in the centre of The Netherlands, 28 kilometers south of Amsterdam. Utrecht University is the largest university in Holland. For students who take part in the USS courses an attractive social and cultural programme will be offered.

One bee course is in Utrecht, the other is in Costa Rica, Central America.
The two weeks course “Why We Need Bees” in Utrecht has, in addition to some basic aspects of bee biology and ecology, a focus on the bee-plant relation. Evolution of the bees, biodiversity, flower biology and pollination, pollen analysis, and bee products are included. The practical situation of the pollination of crops is important in this course and through cooperation of some Dutch firms with large scale applied honeybee-, bumblebee- and solitary bee pollination, students will experience unique information about this aspect.

The two weeks course in Costa Rica is a real introduction into the tropics and in the ecology of tropical bees. In tropical America we can learn about Killer Bees (and other Apis mellifera) and about the fascinating indigenous group of Stingless Bees, those that are still being kept en now much studied. Costa Rica is known for its very rich tropical nature and its great biodiversity. The diversity of colony-living bees in Costa Rica is very interesting, especially from the point of foraging behaviour, as well as for the application in agricultural pollination. Bee health is important also in Tropical America and this is dealt with as well. The field trips of the course will introduce students not only in tropical rain forests etc. but also in various tropical crops.

Both courses are in English and students will play an active role in practicals and through small study projects.

I have attached the E-flyers for both courses. May I ask you to be so kind to make this information available to interested students of your department, and your institution.

Marinus Sommeijer, Utrecht University, The Netherlands