[Pollinator] Rep Hastings’ Statement on 8th Annual National Pollinator Week

Tom Van Arsdall tva at pollinator.org
Wed Jun 18 13:07:09 PDT 2014

Subject: Hastings’ Statement on 8th Annual National Pollinator Week

 <http://alceehastings.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=436542-42307283>

For Immediate Release

Contact: Evan Polisar

June 17, 2014

(202) 225-1313

Hastings’ Statement on 8th Annual National Pollinator Week

(Washington, D.C.) Today, Congressman Alcee L. Hastings (D-FL) made the following statement in recognition of the 8th annual National Pollinator Week, which is celebrated from June 16 - 20, 2014:

“As the co-founder and co-chairman of the Congressional Pollinator Protection Caucus, I am pleased to mark this year’s National Pollinator Week. Our nation continues to see an alarming decline in pollinators and we must do more to protect the birds, bats, bees, and butterflies that pollinate our food.

“Seventy-five percent of all flowering plants and vegetables rely on the transfer of pollen between flowers for fertilization, and without bees and other pollinators, our nation may face a severe shortage of food. That is why I recently introduced H.R. 4790, the Highways BEE Act, which will allow existing authorities to incorporate integrated vegetation management practices to help create badly needed forage along America’s highways.

“I encourage all of my constituents to play a role in protecting pollinators. Through smart conservation practices, we can all help to revitalize the pollinator population.”

Congressman Alcee L. Hastings serves as Senior Member of the House Rules Committee, Ranking Democratic Member of the U.S. Helsinki Commission, and Co-Chairman of the Florida Delegation.

###

---