[Pollinator] Rep. Denham National Pollinator Week release

Tom Van Arsdall tva at pollinator.org
Wed Jun 18 13:08:24 PDT 2014

FYI.  RTVA

***PRESS RELEASE***

Denham Commemorates National Pollinator Week

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:  <mailto:jordan.langdon at mail.house.gov> Jordan Langdon

Date: June 18, 2014

(202) 225-4540

WASHINGTON - U.S. Representative Jeff Denham (R-Turlock) today released the
following statement commemorating National Pollinator Week, celebrated from
June 16-22, 2014:

"As a co-chair of the Congressional Pollinator Protection Caucus, I am
committed to fostering a healthy apiary industry and proud to recognize
National Pollinator Week.

"The crucial role of insect pollinators in ensuring our agricultural
community thrives cannot be overstated. Across the Central Valley, farmers
depend upon insect pollinators to help them grow the food to feed the rest
of the nation. Pollinator health is just one of many reasons why we must act
to address our state's crippling drought, the worst of my lifetime, which is
devastating farm land across the state.

"Last month Rep. Alcee Hastings and I introduced the Highways Bettering the
Economy and Environment (Highways BEE) Act to encourage individual states to
make decisions that take their pollinators into account when maintaining
their highways. After years of steady decline in our pollinator population,
we must continue to do all we can to protect the long-term viability of our
bees and other beneficial insects."

About National Pollinator Week

National Pollinator Week is managed by the Polliantor Partnership and is an
international celebration of the valuable ecosystem services provided by
bees, birds, butterflies, bats and beetles. Pollinating animals are vital to
our delicate ecosystem, supporting terrestrial wildlife, providing healthy
watershed, and more. Therefore, Pollinator Week is a week to get the
importance of pollinators' message out to as many people as possible.

###

Jordan Langdon

Communications Director

Congressman Jeff Denham, CA-10