[Pollinator] Seattle Becomes Largest City to Protect Pollinators!

Sellers, Elizabeth esellers at usgs.gov
Wed Sep 24 05:51:28 PDT 2014

For everyone's interest. Apologies if I'm just duplicating 'old news'.

Cheers, Liz

Elizabeth Sellers

Eco-Science Synthesis (ESS)
Core Science Analytics, Synthesis, and Libraries (CSAS&L)
BISON Data Team; USGS Liaison to the Plant Conservation Alliance
United States Geological Survey (USGS)
12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, Mail Stop 302
Reston, VA 20192  USA
Room 2A231C
703.648.4385  esellers at usgs.gov

Looking for species occurrence data for the U.S.? Check out:
Biodiversity Information Serving Our Nation (BISON)
http://bison.usgs.ornl.gov/

*Future generations will not be able to read and will communicate *
*using emoticons; and we 'dinosaurs' will be called upon to 'interpret' *
*text like Egyptian hieroglyphs from thousands of years ago.*

"*No amount of automation will replace human beings, but clumsy and
belligerent automation will alienate them and suppress their creativity*."
Kazic, et al., 2003. Whither Biological Database Research?

*Great News!  Seattle joins the rank and passed a policy to protect
pollinators!*

On Monday, September 22nd, the Seattle City Council approved an ordinance
that bans use of products containing neonicotinoids.

Big congratulations to the groups spearheading this effort, Central Co-op
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8319756&msgid=34906&act=X3O4&c=1487594&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.centralcoop.coop%2Fhome.php>
and Seattle Sierra Club
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8319756&msgid=34906&act=X3O4&c=1487594&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fcascade.sierraclub.org%2Fdirectory%2Fgroups%2Fseattle>
!

Our nation's food and farming system relies upon honey bees for continued
prosperity. One in three bites of food we eat is pollinated by honey bees.

Neonicotinoids-a class of neurotoxic pesticides that kill insects by
blocking nerve impulses-are particularly harmful to bees and other
pollinators because they move systemically throughout the plant to the
pollen or nectar and can persist in the soil for several years after the
last application.

Fortunately, cities across the nation like Seattle WA, Spokane WA,
Shoreline MN, and Eugene OR are leading the way in protecting pollinators
from harmful neonicotinoids.

*Please send a message of thanks to the Seattle City Council & Mayor Ed
Murray today!*
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8319756&msgid=34906&act=X3O4&c=1487594&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pesticide.org%2Fget-involved%2Fthankyouseattle%2Fview>

Want your city to go neonic free?  Contact us at info at pesticide.org!

Check out www.pesticide.org
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8319756&msgid=34906&act=X3O4&c=1487594&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fpesticide.org>
for information on our work to reduce pesticides in our schools, farms and
homes.

Thank you for helping to create a healthy future!

<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8319756&msgid=34906&act=X3O4&c=1487594&destination=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpesticide.free>
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8319756&msgid=34906&act=X3O4&c=1487594&destination=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2F_NCAP>
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8319756&msgid=34906&act=X3O4&c=1487594&destination=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FNCAPVids>

<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8319756&msgid=34906&act=X3O4&c=1487594&destination=https%3A%2F%2Fdonatenow.networkforgood.org%2FPesticideAlternatives>

*CLICK HERE
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=8319756&msgid=34906&act=X3O4&c=1487594&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pesticide.org%2Fget-involved%2Fthankyouseattle%2Fview>*
*to send a message of thanks to the Seattle City Council members & Mayor Ed
Murray* *for their leadership!*

*Northwest Center for Alternatives to Pesticides | info at pesticide.org
<jmiller at pesticide.org> | 541.344.5044*

 This message was sent to jbarbash at usgs.gov from:

Kim Leval | info at pesticide.org | NCAP | PO Box 1393 | Eugene, OR 97440

Email Marketing by [image: iContact - Try It Free!]
<http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>
    Unsubscribe
<http://app.icontact.com/icp/mmail-mprofile.pl?r=8319756&l=3299&s=X3O4&m=34906&c=1487594>