[Pollinator] Urge Your Representative to Protect Pollinators!

Sellers, Elizabeth esellers at usgs.gov
Wed Sep 24 05:58:07 PDT 2014

For Your Interest. Apologies if I'm just duplicating 'old news'.

More info about their BEE Protective work and other alerts like this one
below is available at: http://beyondpesticides.org/pollinators/index.php

Cheers, Liz

Elizabeth Sellers

Eco-Science Synthesis (ESS)
Core Science Analytics, Synthesis, and Libraries (CSAS&L)
BISON Data Team; USGS Liaison to the Plant Conservation Alliance
United States Geological Survey (USGS)
12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, Mail Stop 302
Reston, VA 20192  USA
Room 2A231C
703.648.4385  esellers at usgs.gov

Looking for species occurrence data for the U.S.? Check out:
Biodiversity Information Serving Our Nation (BISON)
http://bison.usgs.ornl.gov/

*Future generations will not be able to read and will communicate *
*using emoticons; and we 'dinosaurs' will be called upon to 'interpret' *
*text like Egyptian hieroglyphs from thousands of years ago.*

"*No amount of automation will replace human beings, but clumsy and
belligerent automation will alienate them and suppress their creativity*."
Kazic, et al., 2003. Whither Biological Database Research?

   [image: Beyond Pesticides]
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FeZLhBCGQwENfIdCxORQUSWOtN3cDCEW>

September 15, 2014
 Urge Your Representative to Protect Pollinators!

In light of President Obama's Memorandum directing federal agencies to take
action on pollinator declines, groups and members of Congress are calling
on EPA to take meaningful steps to save our bees. In a letter to EPA,
Representatives Earl Blumenauer and John Conyers are urging the agency to
follow the lead of the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) and revise pesticide
regulations to protect pollinators from exposure to bee-toxic
neonicointoids.

*>>Have Your Representative Join the Call**:* Urge Your Member of Congress
to Sign-on to the Blumenauer-Conyers Letter to EPA!
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9S8GnI9qjWLFYQH4oyAtOiWOtN3cDCEW>

Pollinators, including honey bees, bumblebees, butterflies, and other
insects, play a critical role in our agriculture systems. More than 70% of
America’s food sources are pollinated by bees and the worldwide economic
value of bee‐pollinated crops is as high as $125 billion per year. Since
2006, however, beekeepers have lost more than 30% of their hives annually—a
huge threat to the vitality of our farms.

*>>Let your Representative know that action on pollinators is needed now! *Ask
them to join Representatives Conyers and Blumenauer in their letter to EPA.
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=cZeXbOcGlAxWprz6VplnZCWOtN3cDCEW>

Pollinators are a critical driver of healthy, nutrient-dense foods. One in
three bites of food depends on honey bees and other pollinators, and
without them food prices are sure to rise and some of our favorite foods
may become unavailable. To be certain, *continued declines of these
essential species are unacceptable in light of policy actions that can be
taken by EPA now. *

We need to put public pressure on our elected members of Congress to tell
EPA to follow the lead of FWS and take the right steps to forward
pollinator health.

Click here to send an email to your Representative.
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=JYPoh2grkIYTbuKK%2BpTXWiWOtN3cDCEW>After
you're finished, you can call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and
ask to be connected with your member of Congress. This follow up will make
sure they've got the message.

-Beyond Pesticides

See here for the Blumenhauer-Conyers letter
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=SvtzUnPJu%2B4xx7AJk6p4dSWOtN3cDCEW>
;
See here for President Obama's Pollinator Memorandum
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2F1ehe71gTmMl5%2FMiCPj3NCWOtN3cDCEW>;
and
See this story about FWS' decision to ban neonicotinoids in National
Wildlife Refuges
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UhrrSTnd1OKjz2j8Fe0sHiWOtN3cDCEW>
.
To become more involved in protecting pollinators, visit Beyond Pesticides BEE
Protective
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=dXVQgP02%2BAXGgamTGIrOuCWOtN3cDCEW>
webpage.

*Please forward this email to your friends and family!*

[image: facebook]
*Share on Facebook! *
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Jr6MSu4ka53BWh3r%2BT%2BBgiWOtN3cDCEW>

[image: twitter]
*Share on Twitter!*
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=RMq%2FA4duX%2FElU2%2Fd8p5wIiWOtN3cDCEW>

   Urge Your Member of Congress to Protect Bees!
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=6j2CrvjD73Mg4qYQdQ%2BZMCWOtN3cDCEW>

* Get Your Representative to Support the Conyers-Blumenauer Letter to EPA
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=PiyUN56qfudGrZVflrbFBiWOtN3cDCEW>
Please consider following up with a call! You can call the Capitol
Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected with your member of
Congress. *

<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nblliEcZCugxcV3xZlo9vyWOtN3cDCEW>
Resources

Learn More About the BEE Protective Campaign!

<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=HQVib0iLm8ODFLc4c81vfSWOtN3cDCEW>

See Beyond Pesticides' BEE Protective webpage for additional actions you
can take to help pollinators at this critical time.

TakePart: Save Our Bees

<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bp7GeYix1rFPf9V5E7T2pSWOtN3cDCEW>

TakePart's year-long campaign dedicated to the health, well-being and
restoration of the bee population.

Beyond Pesticides' Facebook page
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=C5ZKpxg2I8WhXuLiGZkCNCWOtN3cDCEW>

Become a fan of Beyond Pesticides!
Twitter
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=wYNmAQekCOJuYqX82xo5wiWOtN3cDCEW>

Follow us for the latest news and actions!
YouTube Channel
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Ah0wTFsKzG0r4Tlbkh%2BU%2FiWOtN3cDCEW>

Watch videos for change.

       You have received this email through your subscription to the email
list for Beyond Pesticides.
If you did not subscribe, or would no longer like to receive email
updates, unsubscribe
here
<http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bAKekYfizpmNS2Spkm7bKCWOtN3cDCEW>
.