[Pollinator] [beemonitoring] Sugar refractometers

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Mon Apr 6 08:30:35 PDT 2015

Dear Jack:

Thanks.  When it comes to nectar volumes of < 2 micro liters I prefer to
pool instead of dilute.  Generally speaking, plants offering very little
nectar produce more than one flower on the same day so my readings may be
based on an entire inflorescence or section (paracladium) of an
inflorescence.  Then I've had some really weird cases like Paeonia brownii
that produces so much fluid my nectar measurements can be based on the
contents of only one nectar gland on the same flower or I can pool the
contents of half a dozen cup-shaped glands on the same flower.

http://www.pollinationecology.org/index.php?journal=jpe&page=article&op=view&path%5B%5D=193