[Pollinator] [GRAYMAIL] Fwd: Bee hotels may not be that good

Sandra Garland sgarland at teksavvy.com
Thu Apr 9 13:38:14 PDT 2015

Re: ground nesting. At the Fletcher Wildlife Garden here in Ottawa, we have seen both sweat bees and bumblees nesting in garden beds in our demonstration Backyard Garden. I believe the trick is to leave open space near the front of a garden bed where bees are likely to find it. Gardeners generally want to fill up every bit of space with flowers. We have watched sweat bees travel between their tunnels at the sunny, front corner of a garden bed (http://www.pbase.com/fwg/image/102446429) across to collect pollen from Hairy Beardtongue (Penstemon hirsutus) in an adjacent bed.

Bumble bees can often be found in another garden bed that contains a large upright juniper. I wonder if they prefer to dig among the tree roots, which would help support the tunnels? When we see bees there, we put up a little caution sign to keep eager volunteers from planting in that area.

We also have a bee hotel, used mostly by wasps and several bee boxes, which were installed by a scientist working with Agriculture and Agri-food Canada. As it happens, she will be giving a free lecture on bees on April 16, 7:30 pm in Salon A of the Neatby Building, 960 Carling Avenue, Ottawa.

Cheers,
Sandy Garland
Fletcher Wildlife Garden Management Committee