[Pollinator] a useful new study quantifies neonic seed treatment use in the U.S.A.

John Purdy johnrpurdy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 06:39:16 PDT 2015

The speculation about increased use of neonics and the innuendo that this
could increase risk to pollinators is not the stuff of science or
agro-economics.  The concept that nearly all corn and Soybeans planted in
North America is already treated with these products makes it hard to
understand how the use rates could increase.  These products have been on
the market a long time and will be ending their market life cycle due to
newer products and improvements in non chemical methods of control.  It is
likely that the use of these products will decline.

On the other hand, the Australian Government has proposed regulating and
licensing beekeepers. I think this is a good idea. Beekeepers have been
left out of agricultural regulations for too long and should be brought up
to the same standards that apply to other agriculture. If bees are vital to
survival of the plant, why are they not regulated and licensed? There are
beekeepers who use no effective recognized disease control.(chemical or
nonchemical). These are no more than disease breeders. Nearly all in-hive
pesticides are applied preventively by those who do apply treatments. One
could say "If this is bad, its bad for beekeepers too", but i don't think
its bad. It leads to an order of magnitude reduction in overall pesticide
use and imporves yield per acre and per dollar of input..It should be
regulated better to avoid misuse and development of resistance.

John Purdy PhD
Environmental Scientist
Abacus Consulting Services Ltd