[Pollinator] Bald-faced hornet nest removal

Maraiah Russell maraiah.russell at kidszoo.org
Tue Jul 7 07:54:02 PDT 2015

Question for the pollinator list-serve

Hello everyone! I work at a zoo, and have been an advocate for supporting our pollinators by providing habitat and decreasing chemicals.  We have had a bald-faced hornet nest near one of our buildings before, and I was able to post signs warning people to stay away and let them be.  They did and there was no problem at all, I actually cut down and kept the nest for demos in the fall.  Now there are two nests fairly close to the pedestrian path and one of our primate exhibits.  There are no issues yet, but our maintenance dept wants to spray them both (one is a little higher in the tree, and one is hanging right at head height).  I agree if something were to happen to disturb the nest people could get stung and it wouldn't be a good situation.  Does anyone know of a safe way to relocate such nests?  And, if we do need to spray, is there something safe to use that wouldn't affect our primates since they will get the drift?

Thanks

Maraiah Russell, BS, RVT
Fort Wayne Children's Zoo
Fort Wayne, IN