[Pollinator] Bees on Their Knees? NC-FAR 'Lunch~N~Learn' Research Seminar. Noon Monday, June 15, 1300 LHOB. RSVP by June 12

Tom Van Arsdall tva at pollinator.org
Tue Jun 9 13:49:35 PDT 2015

If you are in DC area, you are welcome to attend!  Tom VA

www.ncfar.org

BEES ON THEIR KNEES?

Factors Affecting Honey Bees and Other Pollinators

Join us for National C-FAR's fifth hill seminar of 2015 on MONDAY, June 15, the beginning of National Pollinator Week, featuring research related to the health of honey bees and other pollinators.  The seminar series focuses on research, Extension and education made possible by federally funded food and agricultural research, Extension and education.

“Lunch~N~Learn” Seminar from 12:00 to 12:55 in 1300 Longworth House Office Building (LHOB).  Chick Fil-A Lunch (Veggie Wrap Option) will be provided.

 <http://bit.ly/1i2lp1i> CLICK HERE to Register by c.o.b. Friday, June 12

Feel free to share this invitation with hill staff, agency officials and others who may be interested in attending the seminar.

Like us on Facebook  <http://www.facebook.com/groups/205783652858607/> http://www.snoitulosten.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/facebook-small.jpg or follow us on twitter  <https://twitter.com/ncfar1>  http://www.snoitulosten.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/twitter-small.jpg

**********

ABSTRACT:  Much of our food supply flies on the wings of bees. It is through pollination, the movement of pollen to fertilize flowers, that bees provide fruits, nuts and vegetables in our diet; one third of our diet depends on bees or other pollinators. Pollinators are in decline worldwide due to a variety of factors and the common honey bee is the most easily recognized and most used pollinator in modern agriculture. Honey bees suffer from a variety of pest and diseases and recent bee die-offs have been linked to these pests as well as stress from pesticide exposure and poor nutrition. Over the past 10 years beekeepers in the US have lost on average about 30% of their hives in the winter; this rate is too high for beekeeping to remain profitable. Research is looking for specific answers to individual stressors in bees but more is needed. USDA and other government agencies are working to improve bee health by adding bee friendly plants to public spaces, farms and individual backyards which can provide vital habitat and nutrition for a wide variety of pollinators. With a concerted effort, we can reverse the trend of pollinator decline, improve honey bee health and continue to enjoy the fruits, nuts and vegetables that pollinators provide.

PRESENTERS:  Dr. Kevin Hackett, Senior Program Leader, Biological Control, USDA, ARS and Dr. Jeff Pettis, Research Entomologist, USDA, ARS.

**********

More information about National C-FAR and the hill seminar series can be found at  <http://www.ncfar.org/> http://www.ncfar.org.  The Hill Seminar Series helps demonstrate the value of public investment in food and agricultural research—investment that returns 45 percent per year on average.

THANKS to the following National C-FAR Seminar Series Contributing Sponsors:

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics · Agronomy, Crop and Soil Science Societies · Alliance to Feed the Future

American Society of Animal Science · American Society for Nutrition · Bayer CropScience

Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) · CHS Inc. · Cooperative Extension · Cotton Foundation

Council for Agricultural Science and Technology (CAST) · CropLife America

Dr. William Danforth · Elanco Animal Health · Eversole Associates · Dr. David W. Hertha

Indiana Soybean Alliance · Institute of Food Technologists · National Farmers Union

Michael Newman, DVM · National Council of Farmer Cooperatives · North American Millers’ Association

Riley Memorial Foundation · Syngenta · United Soybean Board · University of Wyoming

NOTE:  If you wish to ‘unsubscribe’ from our contact list and not receive future notices about our food and agricultural research hill seminars, just respond and so indicate.

Sincerely,

Tom

R. Thomas (Tom) Van Arsdall, National C-FAR Executive Director
         <mailto:tom at vanarsdall.com> tom at vanarsdall.com
        PH:  703-509-4746

---