[Pollinator] Birdfeed for honeybees? Interesting N. NJ observation

Tim Miklasiewicz tmiklasiewicz at frontier.com
Wed Mar 25 20:11:01 PDT 2015

Hi Mr. Roswell,

     Thank you for sharing the interesting observation.

     I have seen honey bees collect "dust" from grain in bird feeders
several times, when winter temperatures have been warm enough to permit
foraging, but there was no natural pollen available nearby.   Others
report that, in the absence of real pollen, foraging workers will
collect other substances (e.g. concrete dust, mold spores) that have
share some of its characteristics.  Grain dust has fine texture and some
protein content.  Bees are believed to gain little or no nutritional
value from such collections.  They should stop as soon as nearby plants
(especially early blooming maples and willows) start producing pollen.
When I've put out dry pollen substitute (amended soybean flour) in a
sheltered warm place, workers have switched from visiting bird feeders
to collecting that.

Tim Miklasiewicz

Tim Miklasiewicz, Ph.D.       tmiklasiewicz at frontier.com
Plain City, Ohio, U.S.A.       (614) 733-0320