[Pollinator] Fwd: Blue Codonopsis bee

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Mon Sep 7 18:24:51 PDT 2015

Dear Ren:

I am sending your photos of this bee on to authorities.  My concern is that
there is not a good a good photo of the bee's head. Are we looking at a
long-tongue or short tongue bee?   Yes, sometimes members of the
familyCampanulaceae have specialized bee foragers.  For example,
specialized bees are associated with the genus Wahlenbergia in Australia.
However, was the specimen collected on true Condonopsis or that vine now
placed in the genus Eucodonopsis?

Hopefully, Dr Michener will have the box of our specimens tomorrow or
Wednesday.  Today is the National Holiday of "Labor Day" and there are no
mail deliveries.

Peter