[Pollinator] Introducing Meadowscaping for Biodiversity

Kelly Rourke kr at pollinator.org
Tue Feb 9 15:39:44 PST 2016

Healing the Earth through Education--One Meadow at a Time.

We are writing to introduce you to Waltham, MA-based Meadowscaping for
Biodiversity (www.meadowmaking.org) so that you can share this information
with pollinator educators.

This exceptional STEAM-learning, project-based outdoor environmental
education program gets people outdoors. Student and adult participants
design, plant, and study a native-plant meadow. Our custom-designed
curriculum includes engaging and fun sessions on many related subjects
including pollinators while empowering students to become citizen
scientists and stewards of the Earth. We use no toxic substances to ensure
that we don’t harm participants or wildlife and the myriad creatures
beneath the soil.

The pilot meadow on the east lawn of Christ Church Waltham, 750 Main
Street, Waltham, MA 002453, received Wildlife Habitat Certification in
October 2015. Participants in the program have included boys scouts,
parents, members of the Church’s congregation, Greater Waltham ARC, Timilty
Middle School (downtown Boston, MA) students, college interns, among
others.  We’re presenting a workshop called “Pollinators in a Pickle” on
March 9, 2016 at the Mass. Environmental Educators Society Conference in
Worcester, MA. We’re also exhibiting at the Cambridge Science Festival on
April 16.

Meadowscaping for Biodiversity programs provide or supplement students’
environmental learning experiences. For example, Meadowscaping presents 45-
to 90-minute sessions for afterschool, vacation week, and summer camps. In
summer, after each week of camp, participants look back through photos and
field notes to see how they contributed to the meadowmaking process. At the
end of the eight week summer camp, participants have produced a viable
meadow and wildlife habitat.

Students feel good because they are doing good for the Earth and getting
outside in Nature.

Best regards, Barbara

Barbara Passero, Director
SANDPIPER CREATIVE