[Pollinator] Fwd: FW: myrtle rust

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Fri Jan 1 03:33:54 PST 2016

Dear  Colleagues:

Dr Peter Wilson of the Royal Botanic Gardens and Domain Trust (Sydney, NSW)
took the attached photo.  The little black trigonid bee is native to
Australia.  It used to be in genus, Trigona. It is now in gnus Tetragonula
and I believe that 6 species are recognized in Australia at the moment.
That's not pollen it's collecting.  That's the spores of rust fungus
(Teliomycota) known to infect members of the Eucalyptus family
(Myrtaceae).  I am turning the photo over to mycologist, Meredith
Blackwell.  Meredith, isn't this the teliospore (2n) stage?  Spore stages
of rusts fungi are complex and have different genetic stages as they change
their hosts in the course of the life-cycle.  Wheat rust (for example) has
certain stages on wheat but sends out a spore stage to attack barberry
(Berberis).  It has been suspected for sometime that some bees mistake the
teliospore stage of some rusts for pollen but Meredith and Peter Kevan may
be able to point us to publications.

I'm not here to work on this interaction but my host has a pet colony of
this bee on her veranda.  They are given away for free by the Town Council
of St. Ives, New South Wales.  If you take good care of the bees the
Council returns each year to divide the colony and gives it to another
family in the suburbs.  I will take photos of the bee box tomorrow and send
them on.  The other day, Wendy thought she saw a blue-banded bee (Amegilla)
foraging for spores on a Eucalyptus on her property.  I saw the same bee
but did not see it forage on infected leaves.

Peter