[Pollinator] Fwd: FW: myrtle rust

Peter Kevan pkevan at uoguelph.ca
Mon Jan 4 10:27:17 PST 2016

Thank you for the photographs. Interesting. There are a goodly number of examples of otherwise-pollinating insects dispersing plant diseases. There are records in the literature of bees collecting spores of rusts from the lesions on infected plants. Some smuts (Ustilago) are notorious for this as part of their life cycles (U. violacea on Silene spp. (excuse the names if they are out of date) is one of the better known). There are various Monilinia spp. and related genera (including the dreaded Sclerotinia), also Botrytis, Erwinia, and etc. that are associated with transmission by pollinators. The blueberry mummy berry (M. vaccinii-corymbosi) has a fascinating life history with pollinating bees transporting spores (aeciospores?) from sugary leasons on the leaves into the flowers where infection causes the mummification. The fruits fall to the ground and next year produce asci.

The last review I know of on these sorts the things was by a fellow in UK called Plowright in the late 19th Century. Of course, his detailed work is far to old to worth reading.

Cheers,

Peter