[Pollinator] Fwd: Barren Grounds bees

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Thu Jan 7 03:23:44 PST 2016

Michael Batley promptly identified the bees we gave him this afternoon.
Read his message (below).  I may have collected a new species!

The FIliglossa (subgenus in Leioproctus) story is very interesting..
Michael says that females of some species nest in termite mounds. They are
tiny bees feeding primarily on Persoonia but are often too small to open
the hinged petals.  They have modified hairs on their heads and push them
in between the petals instead.  The bee looks like it has a Fu Manchu
mustache.  It's a weird story involving Tarlton Rayment soe see the
following link.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/230266437_Revision_of_Leioproctus_Filiglossa_Rayment_Hymenoptera_Colletidae

Peter