[Pollinator] Tetragonula as pets?

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Thu Jan 7 02:21:03 PST 2016

In some suburbs of Sydney, Australia, the Town Council will put you on a
waiting list if you request your own colony of Tetragonal carbonaria but
they are free.  My hosts, Wendy and Philip Grimm, have their own colony on
their veranda.  A potted Hoya has been placed on top of the nest box.  On a
warm sunny day the Phillips eat outside and watch the workers come and go.
They were told not to attempt to harvest nectar.  If the colony thrives the
Council sends someone once a year to divide it and the new colony goes to
another home owner.  Note this is a native species and the genus
Tetragonula is the only eusocial genus NATIVE to Australia.

Meanwhile photo 442 contains a small collection of pinned specimens made at
Barren Grounds Wildlife Refuge last week.  The bees were collected on
flowers of three plant species (Goodenia dimorphia, Persoonia mollis and
Dampiera stricta) and I removed and identified the pollen they carried.The
specimens were turned over to the Australian Museum this morning and are
being identified by Dr Michael Batley.  Specimens include Colletidae,
Apidae and Megachilidae. Dr Batley made a CD entitled "Native Bees and
Other Pollinators" in 2008.  Those wishing to contact him please write <
michael.batley at gmail.com>

Peter