[Pollinator] Pacific Grove: It's time for the monarch count

Matthew Shepherd matthew.shepherd at xerces.org
Wed Nov 23 07:37:00 PST 2016

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for reinforcing this point about tropical milkweed not being
suitable anywhere. At Xerces, we don’t support the planting of tropical
milkweed in any region of the U.S. There is significant evidence that
tropical milkweed causes problems for monarchs. When we know this and when
we have many native milkweed species that can be planted, there is no
reason to continue planting an alien species that perpetuates a problem.

Since this has gone out to the Pollinator list, here is some more
information for other people who might read this.

The resource that we recommend to people wanting to learn more about the
problem with tropical milkweed is the Q&A on the subject written by Sonia
Altizer, Karen Oberhauser, Dara Satterfield, and Candy Sarikonda, on the
Monarch Joint Venture website:

http://monarchjointventure.org/news-events/news/qa-about-research-related-to-tropical-milkweed-and-monarch-parasites

MJV also produced a great fact sheet:

http://monarchjointventure.org/images/uploads/documents/Oe_fact_sheet.pdf

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I realize this is a U.S.-only holiday in this
month (Canada marked it last month), but I have to say that as a transplant
to this country, it’s one holiday that I really like. To have a day when we
take time to say thank you to people and recognize what they bring to our
lives is excellent.

Matthew

­----------

Matthew Shepherd

Communications Director

[image: Xerces-logo-CMYK-email_Outlook]

Protecting the Life That Sustains Us

Connect:    www.xerces.org      Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/xerces.society/>     Twitter
<https://twitter.com/xercessociety>     Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/xercessociety/?hl=en>     Blog
<http://www.xerces.org/blog/>     E-newsletter
<https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001HTk7N6nZumLPinBr8VACbNdTXCe732bGu6KpqC13JAKPti_HBe5xyr7t0p4mDfKe2dOsd-TB1qvv772s6GQfVa_SbKKfwBiwl4blH4KvCjq4dpmA2M9UNZ2axlQwu_1Gvjrl2Rb53WUZwsddwCzyorgxedLAaMy3>

628 NE Broadway, Suite 200,   Portland, OR 97232,   USA

Office: (503) 232-6639 x110

Cell: (503) 807-1577

matthew.shepherd at xerces.org