[Pollinator] Bees are disappearing in India – and we are slowly learning why

Carlos Vergara carloshvergara at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 12:09:25 PDT 2017

Hi, David. Interesting findings and a well deserved recognition to the local knowledge. My colleague Ernesto Badano and myself published back in 2011 a paper on the subject of honey bees having an effect on native pollinator abundance and diversity. Unfortunately, that paper is usually overlooked when examining possible "drivers" (as it is now fashionable to say) of pollinator declines.
The citation to the above mentioned paper is: Badano, EI &CH. Vergara. 2011. Potential negative effects of exotic honey bees on thediversity of native pollinators and yield of highland coffee plantations. Agricultural and ForestEntomology, 13, 365–372.
I will be happy to send a pdf copy of it to anyone interested. Best wishes,
Carlos H. Vergara