[Pollinator] Colorado's designated Interstate 76 as a "Pollinator Highway"

Sarah Bergmann slbergmann at gmail.com
Tue May 23 11:56:53 PDT 2017

Hello,

I’m Sarah Bergmann, founder of the Pollinator Pathway, a design and
philosophy project I began ten years ago. I am writing to comment upon the
emerging movement of projects such as the pollinator highway mentioned by
the Xerces Society on May 12.

A growing number of projects have recently adopted the idea of adding
native plants to roads, a model introduced in the 1960s by the Ladybird
Johnson Initiative <https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/ladybird.cfm>.
These initiatives are heartening and well-intended. However, if they are to
contribute significantly to the goal of achieving ecological
sustainability, these projects must be designed with the broader landscape
in mind. If they are not, they will be nothing more than decoration for
highways.

Our main goal in creating pathways, highways, or any other sort of corridor
filled with native plants, must be to connect larger areas of land suitable
for a diversity of species. Only this kind of connectivity has a chance of
offsetting the lack of biodiversity that is inherent in large-scale
agricultural and suburban sprawl, the two largest uses of land in the
developed world. Without such connectivity, our low-diversity landscapes
will be extremely vulnerable to climate change, and will lack resilience
against all kinds of disturbance.

It is important for us to acknowledge that the goal of connectivity is not
automatically achieved by adding plants to roadways. Functional
connectivity can only be achieved by designing links between larger
landscapes. If we do not work toward connectivity by design, and instead
add plants to whatever roadway might accept our well-intentioned efforts,
we will end up with nicely ornamented sprawl rather than a truly resilient
and sustainable ecosystem.

To solve the large-scale problems of our time, we will need to work
collaboratively across disciplines: ecologists, urban planners, designers,
political organizers, and members of many other disciplines will need to
work together. I’d like to invite you to utilize the Pollinator Pathway and
build on its momentum: We have tools for individuals, groups and
organizations wanting to design functional connective links between larger
landscapes. You can find basic criteria here
<http://www.pollinatorpathway.com/criteria/>, and if you are a group or
organization who would like further material, please feel free to email
info at pollinatorpathway.com.

We have an opportunity and an obligation to design very differently.

Sincerely,

Sarah Bergmann

Director

Pollinator Pathway