[Pollinator] HERBICIDES vs. INVASIVES

James Cane jim.cane2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 13:16:32 PDT 2019

Barbara- I have found Nature Conservancy's weed control guidebook for
reserve managers to be very helpful, specific and practical.  Often times
when using herbicides, there are ways to do spot applications that allow
you to avoid broadcast applications.

https://www.invasive.org/gist/handbook.html

jim

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 12:12 PM Barbara Passero <bpassero at meadowmaking.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> MS4B has submitted a proposal to plant pollinator patches and bring back
> bobolinks to the largest meadow of a 70-acre conservation area.
>
> The teens (15-19) in our summer youth work & learn program will plan the
> gardens and plant the plugs and plants. Teens will also serve as citizen
> scientists, tracking the weather, noting the wildlife they see, recording
> youth activities, etc.
>
> The area has been overrun with invasives—Black Swallowwort, Bittersweet,
> others. The landscape contractor intends to use herbicides that he says are
> safe on the property sometime in the spring. The invasives have to go, but
> I’d hate to have toxic chemicals sprayed where I’m trying to attract
> pollinators. I don’t want to seem obstructive either. I need more practical
> information from experts, so I’m writing to ask for your suggestions.
>
> Thank you for any help you can give. Check out website
> www.meadowmaking.org for program information. Let me know whether you’d
> like to know more.
>
> Sincerely, Barbara
>
> Barbara Passero, Director