[Pollinator] vanilla

David Inouye dwinouye at gmail.com
Wed May 8 06:39:21 PDT 2019

Lubinsky, P., et al. (2006). "Pollination of Vanilla and evolution in
Orchidaceae." Lindleyana 75: 926-929.

The pollination of Vanilla grandiflora by male Eulaema meriana is
reported from the Peruvian Amazon. No scent-collection behaviour was
observed. Vanilla is the most primitive orchid genus to demonstrate this
interaction, and is unique among orchids for having both fragrant
flowers and fruits.

Dam, A. R., et al. (2010). "Vanilla bicolor Lindl. (Orchidaceae) from
the Peruvian Amazon: auto-fertilization in Vanilla and notes on floral
phenology." Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 57(4): 473-480.
     Minimal documentation exists for natural pollination in wild
Vanilla spp., despite the economic importance of this genus,
additionally commercial vanilla (V. planifolia Jacks.) is one of very
few crops whose production depends entirely on artificial pollination.
Flowering and fruiting phenology of Vanilla bicolor Lindl., a close
relative of V. planifolia, was documented in a palm swamp in the
Peruvian Amazon. V. bicolor was found to auto-fertilize via bagging
experiments. This ecotype had an average fruit set per raceme of 42.50 ±
2.5%. Pollen removal experiments suggest that stigmatic leak may be the
mechanism by which auto-pollination occurs in V. bicolor.

On 5/8/2019 3:02 AM, Claus Rasmussen via Pollinator wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Interesting with the vanilla study. Schwarz in 1948 on the stingless
> bees of the western hemisphere mentioned stingless bees as an
> important agent, but I have only seen Eulaema in the field visiting
> the genus Vanilla. Any studies available on vanilla pollination? Not
> much comes out searching, except speculations and anecdotal evidence.
> Youtube links on vanilla pollination are also rather uninformative.
>
> Best, Claus
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 10:38:40 -0600