[Pollinator] Monitoring Your Changing Landscapes Using Camera Stations

Droege, Sam sdroege at usgs.gov
Sat Jun 13 14:20:52 PDT 2020

All

Everyone either makes changes or allows the lands they are responsible for ... to change.

You plant
You burn
You plow
You let the forest grow
You cut the forest down
Beavers build dams
You build a house
Your city builds houses
Glaciers retreat
Dunes shift
Marshes drown
Marshes are created
Your yard ... changes
Your refuge ... is managed

These are big, important changes, but do you document that? ... or actually measure those changes?
No, you do not because it is time consuming.

Or, is it?

A simple cellphone camera station is your solution.  Particularly great if you can get volunteers or visitors to do the work.

A number of years ago our lab, using the help of interns, staff, my daughter Wren (❤️), and her friends worked out a way of creating fixed digital records using fixed camera stations and cell phones.  Simple really.

We put the idea out on listservs and facebook (of course) and a group (I think it was the Wildlife Management Institute) created a website illuminating the idea (monitorchange. org).

Now another group has taken the idea and taken it beyond the Do It Yourself world.

https://www.chronolog.io/

Its worldwide and your data will be visible, linkable, and archived.  Tools are available.

Check them out.

Don't email me about this was developed independently (though I do bug them about adding features), contact them directly at:

 info at chronolog.io

sam

Sentiment

            All things that live die but even
            rivers dry up or roll
            out of their beds and rising lands

            sometimes remove seas and ranges
            snow tops all year wear down eventually:
            the earth, of course, itself came

            into being and must in time be cindered:
            think of the shock, though, meanwhile,
            of the minor changes, a friend in an

            accident, being late to your son's
            soccer match, a leaning tree in a