[Pollinator] Grizzled Skipper (Pyrgus centaureae spp) specimens needed for subspecies review

Droege, Sam sdroege at usgs.gov
Wed Apr 7 17:35:11 PDT 2021

All:  Am posting for Aaron  Aunins, please reply directly to him.
"Aunins, Aaron W" <aaunins at usgs.gov>
Feel free to repost, apologies for crosspostings

----

Greetings:

We are working with Nick Grishin's Lab at UT Southwestern for our eventual genomic analyses of the Grizzled Skipper specimens we collect. Age of the specimens should not be of concern here, as his lab has worked successfully with 50+ year old specimens. We are requesting a whole leg removed with forceps and placed in an empty microcentrifuge tube (no preservative like ethanol needed) for DNA extraction. The leg would be destructively sampled for DNA extraction and not returned to the entity that donated it. We can provide tubes and a Fedex account code for entities that wish to utilize that. Samples would be returned to my mailing address in my signature.  We are interested in the three subspecies: Pyrgus centaureae wyandot, P. c. loki, and P. c freija. Our study is focusing on population structure within the Appalachian Grizzled Skipper, but also the relationships among these subspecies.

Aaron

Aaron Aunins, Ph.D.
Research Fisheries Biologist
U.S. Geological Survey
Eastern Ecological Science Center at the Leetown Research Laboratory
Species Population Dynamics & Surveillance Capability Team
11649 Leetown Road
Kearneysville, WV 25430
Phone: (304)724-4480

B​e Kinder than Necessary