[Pollinator] effect of parasites, pesticides, etc. on bumble bees

David Inouye dwinouye at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 15:14:12 PST 2021

Botías, C., et al. (2021). "Multiple stressors interact to impair the
performance of bumblebee Bombus terrestris colonies." Journal of Animal
Ecology 90(2): 415-431.
     Bumblebees are constantly exposed to a wide range of biotic and
abiotic stresses which they must defend themselves against to survive.
Pathogens and pesticides represent important stressors that influence
bumblebee health, both when acting alone or in combination. To better
understand bumblebee health, we need to investigate how these factors
interact, yet experimental studies to date generally focus on only one
or two stressors. The aim of this study is to evaluate how combined
effects of four important stressors (the gut parasite Nosema ceranae,
the neonicotinoid insecticide thiamethoxam, the pyrethroid insecticide
cypermethrin and the EBI fungicide tebuconazole) interact to affect
bumblebees at the individual and colony levels. We established seven
treatment groups of colonies that we pulse exposed to different
combinations of these stressors for 2 weeks under laboratory conditions.
Colonies were subsequently placed in the field for 7 weeks to evaluate
the effect of treatments on the prevalence of N. ceranae in inoculated
bumblebees, expression levels of immunity and detoxification-related
genes, food collection, weight gain, worker and male numbers, and
production of worker brood and reproductives. Exposure to pesticide
mixtures reduced food collection by bumblebees. All immunity-related
genes were upregulated in the bumblebees inoculated with N. ceranae when
they had not been exposed to pesticide mixtures, and bumblebees exposed
to the fungicide and the pyrethroid were less likely to have N. ceranae.
Combined exposure to the three-pesticide mixture and N. ceranae reduced
bumblebee colony growth, and all treatments had detrimental effects on
brood production. The groups exposed to the neonicotinoid insecticide
produced 40%–76% fewer queens than control colonies. Our findings show
that exposure to combinations of stressors that bumblebees frequently
come into contact with have detrimental effects on colony health and
performance and could therefore have an impact at the population level.
These results also have significant implications for current practices
and policies for pesticide risk assessment and use as the combinations
tested here are frequently applied simultaneously in the field.
Understanding the interactions between different stressors will be
crucial for improving our ability to manage bee populations and for
ensuring pollination services into the future.

--
Dr. David W. Inouye
Professor Emeritus

Principal Investigator