[Pollinator] Pollinator Partnership Honors 2020 Monarch Sustainer of the Year Award Winner

Anthony Colangelo ac at pollinator.org
Mon Mar 8 11:00:50 PST 2021

*Pollinator Partnership Honors 2020 Monarch Sustainer of the Year Award
Winner Daikin Texas Technology Park for Monarch Butterfly Initiatives in
Texas*

Pollinator Partnership is pleased to announce the winner of the 2020
Monarch Sustainer of the Year award, Daikin North America’s Daikin Texas
Technology Park (DTTP), a consolidated manufacturing, engineering,
marketing, and sales location for heating and air conditioning products.
Daikin is committed to environmental stewardship, holding the LEED Gold
certification for its offices and energy management system and championing
annual hands-on Earth Day activities that teach local students about the
lifecycle and habitats of pollinators. As Daikin became more aware of local
biodiversity issues related to the monarch butterfly, it felt compelled to
integrate monarch biodiversity into its strategic business plan.

“We are thrilled to honor the dedicated efforts of Daikin at Daikin Texas
Technology Park, an exemplary leader in monarch conservation and
sustainability. They are truly making a difference for monarchs along an
important corridor of their migration route, and doing an excellent job of
engaging their community in the process,” says Amber Barnes, Wildlife
Conservation Ecologist for Pollinator Partnership.

“On behalf of Daikin leadership and our incredibly hard workers at DTTP,
thank you for this meaningful recognition,” says DTTP Environmental
Director Satara Henry. “The high level of internal support for our
sustainability initiatives is inspiring. Our pollinator gardens are the
most recent example of our continued efforts to support and strengthen the
environment as we work toward our 2050 goal of reducing our greenhouse gas
emissions to zero.”

In 2020, DTTP supported a local monarch initiative from Houston Wilderness
by engaging other local organizations and college students to raise
awareness and provide tools for others to act both at work and home. DTTP
has also created its own pollinator garden project and enhanced the
landscaping along its main gate. This habitat is visible and educational
for over 8,000 employees, neighbors and vendor partners. These plantings
have included five species of milkweed and nine other nectar sources for
pollinators. In total, 250 plants have been planted over four planting
events, with more planned for 2021. DTTP has engaged more than 50 employees
and community partners – who have volunteered over 500 hours – to make
increased biodiversity in the Houston area a reality. DTTP also provides
annual financial support to Texas Fish and Wildlife for monarch habitat
restoration.

The Monarch Sustainer of the Year Award recognizes a US business that has
shown exceptional leadership and action in providing habitat and awareness
for monarchs along their migratory corridors. To submit an application for
this award, please provide a narrative and supporting documents
(photographs, site, plans, outreach plans, etc.) that highlight the unique
and inspiring ways in which your business is supporting monarchs and
meeting the award criteria. The application package should include a
completed cover sheet, a narrative highlighting how your monarch
conservation program meets the stated technical and organizational
criteria, and any supplementary materials that you would like to share.

Applications for the 2021 Monarch Sustainer of the Year Award are due
December 1st, 2021 to info at pollinator.org. Visit
https://www.pollinator.org/monarch/monarch-sustainer-award for more
information.

*ABOUT THE POLLINATOR PARTNERSHIP (P2)*
Established in 1997, Pollinator Partnership is the largest 501(c) 3
non-profit organization dedicated exclusively to the health, protection,
and conservation of all pollinating animals. Pollinator Partnership’s
actions for pollinators include education, conservation, restoration,
policy, and research. P2’s financial support comes through grants, gifts,
memberships and donations from any interested party. Its policies are
science-based, set by its board of directors, and never influenced by any
donor. To make a donation or for information on events during Pollinator
Week, visit www.pollinator.org.

*ABOUT DAIKIN *
Daikin Industries, Ltd. (DIL) is a Fortune 1,000 company with more than
76,000 employees worldwide and is the world’s number 1 air conditioning
company. Daikin North America LLC (Daikin) is a subsidiary of DIL. Daikin
and its affiliates manufacture heating and cooling systems for residential,
commercial and industrial use and are sold via independent HVAC
contractors. Daikin engineering and manufacturing is located at Daikin
Texas Technology Park near Houston, TX. For additional information, visit
www.northamerica-daikin.com.

Anthony Colangelo
Communications Coordinator
Pollinator Partnership Canada