[Pollinator] Challenging the commodification of pollination

Evan Abramson evan at landscapeinteractions.com
Wed Mar 24 17:43:10 PDT 2021

One million species are threatened with extinction globally, including more
than half of the native bee species in North America. Our central argument
is that the commodification of pollination has detrimental effects on
people, pollinators, and ecosystems, and that a diverse economies framework
is one conceptual model that can help shift our perspective. Within the
'save the bees' narrative, a capitalocentric, unidimensional image of
pollination persists, driven by particular forms of market power and
domination. Well-intentioned individuals and groups may be constrained by
industry-dominated messaging that limits their understanding of appropriate
interventions.

Marshman J. & Knezevic I., (2021) “What's in a name? Challenging the
commodification of pollination through the diverse economies of 'Bee
Cities'”, *Journal of Political Ecology* 28(1). p.124-145. doi:
https://doi.org/10.2458/jpe.2307

--

Evan Abramson

*Principal*
L a n d s c a p e | n t e r a c t i o n s
Designing Biodiversity through Pollination Science
646-244-8380
landscapeinteractions.com