[Pollinator] Challenging the commodification of pollination

Evan Abramson evan at landscapeinteractions.com
Fri Mar 26 07:56:29 PDT 2021

Thanks for sharing Kit. I am happy to see you're also getting the word out
on this (underrepresented) perspective.

I don't want to take any credit for the article that I posted, as I was not
involved with the writing or research of it.

As a designer and planner, my focus has been to recommend specific plants
for specific landscape typologies in particular geographic regions, so as
to best support those pollinator species which are of the highest
conservation priority. Not based on their ecosystem services, but rather on
their contributions to functional diversity.

For those interested in such an approach to community-based conservation,
we recently completed a Pollinator Action Plan for Lincoln, Massachusetts
which directly embodies this approach to pollination systems design. The
pdf can be downloaded directly at:
https://lincolnconservation.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/LandscapeInteractions_LincolnPollinatorActionPlan_web_final.pdf

On page 14 of the plan, the chapter Diversity is Resilience includes the
following discussion:

*Diversity is strongly linked to the resilience of natural communities
(Helzer 2009). A diverse combination of plant and animal species in a
community increases the likelihood that the loss of one species can be
somewhat compensated by other species that might play a similar role in the
ecosystem...Ecological resilience may be the most important attribute for
any natural system, especially in the face of rapid climate change,
continuing loss and degradation of habitat, encroaching invasive species
and other threats (Helzer 2017).*

Best,
Evan