[Pollinator] Fwd: Now from FAO North America - May 2021

Laurie Adams lda at pollinator.org
Wed May 5 07:50:29 PDT 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: FAO North America <
FAONorthAmerica.iqssvgekonvbgpegs at newsletters.fao.org>
Date: Wed, May 5, 2021 at 6:20 AM
Subject: Now from FAO North America - May 2021
To: <lda at pollinator.org>

<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwzk9z5ZILXgxQh4ZGXhTr>
Now from North America

May 2021 | Issue 23
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwzvFUp530OsE03b7a3wPo>
*Message from the Director*

Dear Readers,

As the world continues to confront the hardships triggered by the COVID-19
pandemic, it is critical for us to look back at the year gone by and bridge
the weaknesses that exist in our agri-food systems in order for us to
recover and build back better.

Towards this effort, we hosted a congressional briefing with the Alliance
to End Hunger on lessons learned from COVID-19 and guidance for the future.
U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown, Co-Chair of the Senate Hunger Caucus, joined
the session and stressed the importance of building resilient and inclusive
food systems that treat workers with dignity. Earlier in the month, in a
webinar co-hosted with the Embassy of Denmark, we heard from farmers and
policymakers on the opportunities and challenges they face in advancing
sustainable agriculture. The session underlined the need for better
incentives and enabling policy environments to foster the transition
towards a greener agriculture. It also highlighted the varying challenges
farmers face in accessing land, resources, and knowledge.

>From Niagara Falls to the Angel of Independence, we were excited to see
public buildings and iconic monuments across Canada, the United States and
Mexico turn green to mark the International Year of Plant Health, thanks to
the North American Plant Protection Organization (NAPPO).

This month, we look forward to exploring the outcomes of the Leaders
Climate Summit and its impact on global food security in a webinar
co-hosted with CSIS. On World Bee Day, we will highlight challenges facing
pollinators and solutions to help them thrive for a food secure future in
a virtual event with the Embassy of Slovenia. We hope that you can join us!

Stay safe and stay connected.

Vimlendra
Director, FAO North America
*Upcoming Webinars*
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwzHcfIanfFEK9PheD9LLl>
A New Era for Climate Change & Food Security?

*Tues, May 4, 2021 at 10:00 am EST*
FAO and CSIS will bring together expert panelists to discuss changing
perspectives on climate change and its impact on global food security,
highlighting outcomes of President Biden’s Leaders Summit on Climate.
Watch <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwzSIB1fHuwQQjBnm6g0Hi>
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwA4eWkl1Jo2WtnttzmfDf>
Pollinating a Dynamic Economy

*Thurs, May 20 at 11 am EST*
On World Bee Day, join FAO North America and the Embassy of Slovenia for a
dynamic webinar examining the vast challenges facing pollination efforts
and the potential for creative development methods.
Register <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwAfLhDqlYff2D9zB2suzc>
*Highlights from North America*
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwACNYfB0rXDeWHLPYEYr6>
Lessons from COVID-19

During this Congressional webinar, co-hosted with Alliance to End
Hunger, global experts & leaders discussed how the pandemic shocked U.S.
food supply chains and the safeguards needed to enable food systems to
better respond to future disruptions.
Read more <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwAOkjyGkGOPl6tRXrLdn3>
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwAZQERLEVG1rgfY4URsj0>
Farmers Greening Ag

Farmers have an enormous role to play in advancing sustainable agricultural
practices. This webinar, jointly hosted with the Embassy of Denmark in the
USA, explores key areas for action to enable farmers to be agents of change
in greening agriculture.
Read more <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwBbn0aQZaxdxq24cnXHeX>
*Meet the Team*
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwBmTltWjpopDzOajR3WaU>
Ataur Patwary

In this issue, we are featuring Ataur Patwary, Tax/ Finance Assistant at
FAO North America.
Get to know Ataur <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwBypGN1DEfBJJAgrkab6R>
*FAO Global Highlights*
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwBJW266XT6NPTmmyNgq2O>
FAO-WFP global consultation

FAO and the World Food Programme have launched an online public
consultation to obtain inputs that will feed into the organizations'
strategic outlooks towards achieving the SDGs.
Read more <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwBVsnpci7XZW38sGgmEYL>
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwC6YIIhCmPc2cUyNJsTUI>
Small family farmers

The world's smallholder farmers produce around a third of the world's food,
according to a FAO study, which focuses on contributions of farmers with
fewer than two hectares.
Read more <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwCiv41mWBGo8mGEVcz8QF>
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwCFxKDxB5oMkGeRa8LCIz>
Keeping soils alive and healthy

The Global Symposium on Soil Biodiversity, hosted by FAO, attracted more
than 5000 participants globally  and called for the need to enhance the
role of soil organisms in sustaining life on Earth.
Read more <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwCR45WCVkfYqQ0XhBRREw>
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwD2ArfIfz7awZN3p4Y6At>
2021 Global Report on food crises

On 5 May 2021, the Global Network against Food Crises will hold a
high-level virtual event to release the latest figures on how many people
are facing acute hunger and malnutrition in crisis prone countries, in a
new edition of its annual report, the Global Report on Food Crises.
Register  <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwDe6MyNzNYmD9z9wy4lwq>
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwDpD7RSU2PyJjlfE1aAsn>
Best Small Business:
#GoodFoodforAll Competition

The UN Food Systems Summit competition ‘Best Small Business: Good Food for
All’ will identify the best small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) from
across the world transforming food systems for a better tomorrow. The
competition will run till *June 4, 2021*. Applicants will be judged
according to how their business contributes to healthier, more sustainable,
and equitable food for the communities they serve.
Apply <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwDB9taYehGKPt7lLugPok>
*Publications Spotlight*
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwDMFOu3ywxWVCTrSXn4kh>
FAO publications catalogue 2021

Released to coincide with the 166th Session of the FAO Council (26–30 April
2021), the April 2021 edition of the FAO publications includes the latest
editions of the State of the World flagship reports, the background paper
for the International Year of Fruits and Vegetables 2021, FAO at 75: Grow,
nourish, sustain. Together, now also available in audiobook format, and a
section devoted to COVID-19-related resources. The catalogue includes links
to all publications, digital reports, related audio content and press
releases.
Catalogue <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwDYc9N8SLp91MFy0qtjge>
*Partner Corner *
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwE9Iv6ed0gl7WrE7Tzycb>
McGill University

The partnership between McGill University and FAO North America stretches
for well over a decade. FAO has been a steady intellectual contributor to
the work of McGill’s Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences in
the areas of food security, water management and climate change. Guest
speakers from FAO have contributed to our conferences, seminars and
workshops. The global perspective which FAO brings has added considerably
to our student's training, and the ensuing interactions and discussions
have helped formulate student projects in their various courses.

Most recently, McGill partnered with FAO North America on the release in
Canada of the State of Food and Agriculture 2020 Report: Overcoming water
challenges in agriculture. The two institutions co-convened a webinar
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwEleQpjxf7xe6dKfmFN88>aimed at raising
awareness of challenges surrounding agriculture, water, food, and the
environment. Representatives of FAO, McGill, the Canadian federal
government, Alberta provincial government, and irrigators from Western
Canada discussed their approaches to dealing with the many challenges being
faced in Canada on water management to secure the country’s food
system while managing floods and droughts and protecting water quality.

It is an immense pleasure for McGill to collaborate with FAO, as we aim to
strengthen our teaching, research, and outreach in food and agriculture on
a global scale. We look forward to strengthening and growing the
relationship.

McGill <http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwEIhx1ubIPVqpLWuiSh02>
See online version <http://newsletters.fao.org/q/1mrb4yrhHoR0EXrccSWk/wv>

*CONTACT *
For more information visit:  www.fao.org/north-america
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwETNSkzvXH7wzy2BLYvVZ>
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwF5kdDEQcyjCJk8Jf4KRW>

or contact us at: FAO-Washington-News at fao.org

*SHARE AND SUBSCRIBE*
If you received this from a friend and wish to subscribe, please click here
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwFgQyWKarpvIT6eQIaZNT> to enter your
details.

If you don't want to receive this newsletter, you can unsubscribe
<http://newsletters.fao.org/u/1aUPLt72QcKQSRjJ6E0n> here.
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwFsmUfPuGgHP2SkYbheJQ>
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwFDTfyUOV7TVcEr5EntFN>
<http://newsletters.fao.org/c/118uwFPpAS099Z61mqxd7tIBK>