[Pollinator] Job Opportunity: 2023 Pollinator Poster Artist

Anthony Colangelo ac at pollinator.org
Wed Nov 9 08:38:40 PST 2022

Pollinator Partnership (P2) is seeking an artist to render the 2023
Pollinator Poster, this year focusing on “Climate Change and Pollinators:
Little Things Matter.” To apply, please send a one-page narrative concept
idea with a draft sketch to Reed Lievers at reed at pollinator.org by* Friday,
December 9, 2022*.

*Background*

Birds, bees, butterflies, moths, beetles, bats and other small mammals that
pollinate plants are responsible for bringing us one out of every three
bites of food. Pollinators also sustain our ecosystems and contribute to
natural resources by helping plants reproduce. Unfortunately, many
pollinating species are in decline. Without the actions of pollinators,
agricultural economies, our food supply, and surrounding landscapes would
suffer.

*Our Solution for Sustainability*

Pollinator Partnership and its signature initiative the North American
Pollinator Protection Campaign (NAPPC) address issues of pollinator health
and decline using many resources and projects. Sustainable pollination and
declines in pollinator health are complex issues that do not have simple
solutions, but by addressing each area where pollinators interface with
people we can make a significant impact in pollinator, ecosystem, and human
health.  One way we address this issue is through outreach, education, and
action.

*Purpose*

Each year, P2 and NAPPC, along with a wide range of partners (including
federal agencies, non-profits, for-profits, individuals, etc.) design and
distribute an educational pollinator poster.  About 20,000 posters are
distributed throughout the United States each year. They are one of the
most popular outreach material items offered and are distributed for the
cost of shipping and handling.

*Use*

Each year’s poster is unique in size and content, and the posters are
enjoyed and used in a wide variety of venues from classrooms, fairs,
conferences, and offices, to homes, and educational trainings.

*Poster Image – Vision*

This year’s poster will focus on climate change and pollinators, and how
there are little things that we can do as individuals to help fight climate
change while supporting pollinators – the “little things” or animals that
help keep our planet healthy.

The rhythms of life shaped by millions of years of evolution are being
challenged and altered by our rapidly changing climate. The connections
long established between plants and their pollinators are of particular
concern since these interdependencies shape and sustain nearly all
terrestrial ecosystems. Our future will be defined by how well we
understand and maintain these connections.

Pollinators are dying because their food and homes are disappearing,
diseases have increased, and rising temperatures and natural disasters are
affecting their ability to survive - all of which are related to climate
change. At the same time, the conservation of pollinators and their
habitats can help combat climate change by supporting healthy ecosystems,
air, soil, water, and plants. Combined, these results make planet earth a
safer place for us to live.

We envision the poster to be a graphical depiction of the “little things that
run the world” – namely, pollinators, followed by a list of the “little
things” that people can do to help mitigate the negative impacts of climate
change. A beautiful representation of pollinators and their habitats as a
central image will help connect these small and achievable actions to fight
climate change with pollinators. We want the suggested actions to be spark
ideas, conversation, and actions but not to overwhelm individuals with too
many things to do. We want to highlight the message that people can try
even just one of these things and enrich their life with the “little
things”. Overall, we’d like the poster to be uplifting and motivating,
instead of a depressing and alarming story about climate change.

*Some possible climate activities to depict on the poster include: *

   1. Vote with environmental issues in mind
   2. Plant and protect habitat on public, private, and natural lands
   3. Conserve energy at home
   4. Be mindful with your mode of transportation
   5. Reduce your consumer carbon footprint
   6. Watch your waste – reuse and reduce
   7. Make healthy and local food choices
   8. Keep it clean – reduce or eliminate your reliance on chemicals
   9. Talk to friends and neighbors, start the conversation
   10. Enjoy the outdoors

Let this proposed vision spark creativity and do not feel limited to these
ideas. Don’t feel the need to try to incorporate all the suggested ideas.
The poster is a visual story meant to attract attention and inspire action
around climate change and pollinator conservation.  The most important part
of creating any poster is to make it a beautiful work of art. A
scientific/naturalistic style is preferred. P2 staff will work with the
artist on scientific accuracy and detail. To view past pollinator posters,
please visit <http://pollinator.org/posters.htm>
http://pollinator.org/posters.htm.

*Submittal Details*

If interested in submitting a poster concept idea for consideration to
render the 2023 “*Climate Change and Pollinators: Little Things Matter*”
poster, please submit the below information as one PDF reed at pollinator.org:

●        Contact information (name, email, physical mailing address)

●        Background

○        Resume, CV, past projects, website/online portfolio, social media,
etc.

○        2 pages maximum

●        Narrative about the poster concept

○        Method used (digital, traditional, etc.)

○        1 page maximum

●        Sketch of the proposed poster as digital art submitted as a pdf or
.jpg. (300 ppi at 8.5 x11)

*Timeline*

A poster concept idea with a draft sketch is due to Reed Lievers at
reed at pollinator.org by Friday, December 9, 2022. Once an artist has been
chosen, the final illustration will be due by Friday, February 24, 2023.

*Poster Size*

There is flexibility with the size of the poster, but past posters have
ranged from 30 in x 12 in to 30 in x 32 in (including a galley at the
bottom of the poster for partner logos).  We suggest using a standard
poster size so that the poster may easily be framed.

*Compensation*

Pollinator Partnership does not make any profit off the poster and
distributes them for free (not including shipping and handling). P2 works
to create the poster each year to help educate the public about the
importance of pollinators. The chosen artist will receive $1,000 USD upon
completion of the agreement and delivery of the product of contracted work
for the 2023 poster.

*Legal*

Pollinator Partnership and the artist will co-own the rights to the final
submitted digital artwork.

*Questions? *Contact Reed at reed at pollinator.org or 415.362.1137

Anthony Colangelo (he/him)
Communications and Engagement Manager
Pollinator Partnership <https://pollinator.org/> and Pollinator Partnership
Canada <https://www.pollinatorpartnership.ca/>
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
647-895-2393

The land where I live and work is located in Sǫ̀ mba k'è, Denendeh,
on Chief Drygeese Territory, traditional territory of the Yellowknives Dene,
and homelands of the Indigenous Métis of the North Slave Métis Alliance.