[HECnet] NOTES installed

Fred fcoffey at misernet.dyndns.org
Thu Aug 28 02:25:38 PDT 2008

Good evening ...

Got NOTES installed.

However, after adding the couple of conferences I saw at the nodes listing on avanthar:8080/nodes ... (specifically MONK::VMS for starters) trying to open that conference reveals:

Notes>
Login information invalid at remote node

Looks like the owner of MONK doesn't have NOTES set up for "remote" or HECNet access. :(

If nothing else I have my own private install of NOTES now so I don't look like a total idiot when I'm posting on Encompasserve ... ;)

The kits from mvb.saic.com do work - I used notes026.a and had to run a "fix backup attributes" DCL routine to straighten out the file attributes, otherwise VMSINSTAL (actually BACKUP) barfed all over.   Probably related to transfering it to my laptop first before FTP'ing it to MISER.

That's enough beating on the Alpha for one night.   :)   I really should consider figuring out a way to do an /IMAGE backup on this thing soon, too ...

Fred