[HECnet] Re: Hecnet addition

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Fri Aug 22 13:06:40 PDT 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:11:37 +0200, you wrote:

Unfortunately you can't specify the timeouts that the DNS lookups should use. :-(
This the main reason why I choose not to have that functionality in my code.

This reminds me that we had some circuit stability problems in the past, due
to network transients and probably also to abnormal DNS lookup delays which
stalled the bridge. For this, and to reduce overall idle network traffic, long
ago we decided to set DECnet hello timer and LAT keepalive delays up to 90
seconds replacing the 10 (15?) seconds default value. Since then our network
is a lot more stable, i.e. no more up'n'down in operator.log and drawbacks
caused by that change (like slower adjacency change detection and so on) are
far more acceptable than the original problem. :-)

BTW, our network is a lot smaller than HECnet and we ran without any router
for almost two years. In other words, one size does not fit all and YMMV. :-)

G.