[HECnet] Re: Hecnet addition

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Aug 22 09:34:28 PDT 2008

John Wilson wrote:
From: gerry77 at mail.com
Also, name lookups can take time, and meanwhile the bridge is stopped. If someone have a seriously bad setup dns, this could means hanging the bridge for half a minute per such host (or more). It also increases the
Honestly I think we have overlooked that issue and never really considered it,
maybe because we never stumbled upon it. I wonder if it would be possible to
specify a very short timeout for DNS lookups while performed by the bridge...
... or spin off a thread and do the lookup there (the Right Way :-).

That would be the right way, yes. :-)
However, I don't really feel like rewriting it as a threaded application. If I would, then I think I'd get rid of the select code as well, and have one thread per link, or possibly two...

But I'm just not enough motivated. Right now, I'm more interested in doing some more hacking in RSX...

Speaking of which. Is there anyone who have the complete distribution of Modula-2 for RSX? I have a somewhat damaged distribution, but would like to get it complete.