[HECnet] Re: Hecnet addition

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Aug 21 10:58:01 PDT 2008

gerry77 at mail.com wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:28:20 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:
After a bit of communication with a list member off-list, it seems that my dynamic IP address scenario is going to throw a wrench into the works regarding getting on to HECNet.   Would someone know of a dynamic-address friendly method?
What about http://decnet.ipv7.net/files/decnet-bridge_0.7-4.tar.gz ? :-P
See our source,
G. :-)

That's one option, definitely.
A few things should perhaps be pointed out. The config file is not compatible with my bridge program, so people who change need to be aware that they have to modify that.

Also, name lookups can take time, and meanwhile the bridge is stopped. If someone have a seriously bad setup dns, this could means hanging the bridge for half a minute per such host (or more). It also increases the possibilities of cracking. (If someone really is worried about that :-) .

But it do increase the usability if you have dynamic addressed, as well as making it a bit more convenient. :-)