[HECnet] Re: Hecnet addition

gerry77 at mail.com gerry77 at mail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:47:48 PDT 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:58:01 +0200, you wrote:

What about http://decnet.ipv7.net/files/decnet-bridge_0.7-4.tar.gz ? :-P

A few things should perhaps be pointed out. The config file is not
compatible with my bridge program, so people who change need to be aware
that they have to modify that.

... Or you (or someone else) could integrate into your original bridge some of
our changes when- where- and however you like. You granted us permission to
use your code as a starting point for our modifications, now you are obviously
entitled to do whatever you want with our code. Don't even think to ask. :-)

Also, name lookups can take time, and meanwhile the bridge is stopped.
If someone have a seriously bad setup dns, this could means hanging the
bridge for half a minute per such host (or more). It also increases the

Honestly I think we have overlooked that issue and never really considered it,
maybe because we never stumbled upon it. I wonder if it would be possible to
specify a very short timeout for DNS lookups while performed by the bridge...

G.