[HECnet] New Nodes

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Aug 21 11:07:43 PDT 2008

Angela Kahealani wrote:
On Wed, 2008-08-20 08:16:57 Johnny Billquist wrote:
Hmm. Is this the same machine as is running the bridge?

	Johnny
Yes, is that a problem?
Could very well be. The problem is that the bridge program cannot exactly feed the ethernet input on the same machine as it is running, nor hear data sent out on the ethernet port of the same machine. That is, unless the hardware will do this for you. Some hardware do, but most don't. So you don't see your own data, which makes it impossible for my bridge program to handle the machine it itself is running on.

	Johnny
I think I separated the bridge and linuxDECnet dnetd onto separate NICs so they can see each other...
dnetinfo shows:
The next hop to the nearest area router is node 0.0
        Node                           Cost       Hops     Next hop to node
    1.10                                     4           1       if0         ->     1.266
    1.500   kahea                     0           0       lo           ->     1.500   kahea
but I don't seem to see any neighbors, so maybe still not right.

That table looks so wrong that it's horrible. :-)
I don't even dare guessing exactly what is wrong at your end...