[HECnet] New Nodes

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Aug 21 11:04:32 PDT 2008

Angela Kahealani wrote:
On Wed, 2008-08-20 08:16:57 Johnny Billquist wrote:
Angela Kahealani wrote:
On Wed, 2008-08-20 08:00:35 Johnny Billquist wrote:
Angela Kahealani wrote:
So, obviously my iptables ain't blocking DECnet,
so it's a mystery why I can only see:
pc:/etc# cat   /proc/net/decnet_neigh
Addr       Flags State Use Blksize Dev
1.500     ---     40       01   0001498 eth0
1.10       ---     40       01   0016434 lo
Aloha, Angela
Hmm. Is this the same machine as is running the bridge?

	Johnny
Yes, is that a problem?
Could very well be. The problem is that the bridge program cannot exactly feed the ethernet input on the same machine as it is running, nor hear data sent out on the ethernet port of the same machine. That is, unless the hardware will do this for you. Some hardware do, but most don't. So you don't see your own data, which makes it impossible for my bridge program to handle the machine it itself is running on.

	Johnny
I have a router on the LAN, so could it all be configured to use that to bounce packets right back?
I take it most internet routers aren't going to route UDP/700?
which is why the bridge program vs sending raw DECNET UCP/700?

I doubt that your router is DECnet aware, so how would you do it? Bounce back *all* ethernet packets you see? I don't think that's a good idea.
Also, it is very important that the source and destination MAC addresses are left untouched for DECnet to be happy. So that needs to be insured as well.

The last question confused me. What do you mean? Of course internet is routing UDP traffic, no matter what port is used.

DECnet itself isn't an IP protocol, which is why it isn't routed by an internet router. There is no UDP or TCP in DECnet. DECnet is something totally different. What multinet do is pack the DECnet packet inside an UDP/IP packet for transport to the other multinet machine, over the internet.