[HECnet] Dynamic IPs and Multinet Links

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Aug 20 06:45:17 PDT 2008

Bob Armstrong skrev:
  I've created a simple DCL script that will allow me to maintain a simple
list of the Multinet tunnels and a DNS name.   The script will do an NSLOOKUP
on the name to figure out the corresponding IP and then re-configure the
Multinet connections accordingly.   Like the bridge program, this isn't
automatic and you'll have to send me an email when your IP changes to remind
me to re-run this script.   And since changing the destination IP requires
turning the circuit off and then restarting it, any existing connections on
that circuit (including any that are routed thru you) will be broken.   Given
the fairly low level of usage on HECnet, that doesn't seem like a big
problem.
    If you already have a Multinet connection to LEGATO with a static IP, then
you can just ignore this message.   Nothing will change for you.
    Fred - it's time for you to go sign up for that Multinet Hobbyist license
:-)

Maybe I should point out that for the bridge program, all you need to do is send it a HUP signal, and it will redo the name lookups. However, there is always a possibility that the old resolving information is still cached somewhere, so that you won't the to the new address right away anyhow. How long the delay depends on how the name server and domains are set up.

But if someone have a dynamic IP, but it changes fairly seldom, it usually works acceptable anyway, so having a dynamic IP address isn't neccesarily the end of it all.