[HECnet] Dynamic addresses for DECnet-over-IP

Marc Chametzky marc at bluevine.net
Tue Aug 19 02:10:20 PDT 2008

I was looking through the MultiNet configuration and it looks as though it might be possible to get it to handle dynamic addresses somewhat reasonably.

Assuming one had a script to check the status of the DECnet circuit or otherwise check to see if the dyndns.org address had changed, one can cycle the circuit to connect to the new address this way:

	$ MCR NCP SET CIRCUIT TCP-x-y STATE OFF
	$ MULTINET SET/DECNET/REMOTE=a.b.c.d/CONNECT
	$ MCR NCP SET CIRCUIT TCP-x-y STATE ON

One could also reflect this change in MULTINET:DECNET-CIRCUITS.COM to save the change for later (best done indirectly through MULTINET CONFIGURE/DECNET).

Does DECnet routing require explicitly created paths to avoid routing loops, or can one have multiple parallel connections and have DECnet manage the routing dynamically? If so, I'm willing to help with DECnet routing since I've got an area router running on my virtual VAX and a high-speed FiOS connection at home.

--Marc