[HECnet] Quiet list and a question about setting up a system

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Jun 25 16:07:46 PDT 2008

At 9:51 AM +0100 6/25/08, Andrew Back wrote:
Oh :o( Having seen DVNETEXT in the PAKs I was thinking this is routing when of course it is DVNETRTG. Now I need to find a machine with DVNETRTG... I *really* wanted to play with Phase V routing also. In the meantime what are my other options for Phase IV routing? I'm guessing your bridge software plus an emulated system running software with routing else a hardware router of some description.

I believe I've always run Phase IV on my area router, but then it's also running VAX/VMS V5.5-2.   I was originally running Phase V on my Alpha, and I believe OpenVMS 7.3-2 at the time, but once I was on HECnet I quickly *upgraded* it to Phase IV, as it has less problems talking to other systems.   IIRC, DECnet/E might have been one of the big reasons for moving to Phase IV, but then DECnet/E has problems with just about anything. :^(

The software support for a tunnel would be really useful in SIMH, since that would cover not only PDP-11's, but VAXen as well.   Support in KLH10 would be nice as well.

Zane

--
| Zane H. Healy                                       | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| healyzh at aracnet.com (primary)       | OpenVMS Enthusiast                 |